aileron rigging vs trim - '48 170

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Fearless Tower

aileron rigging vs trim - '48 170

Post by Fearless Tower »

Finally been able to start enjoying my 170 - Annual/restoration/repaint finished in Oct.

When we did the return to service flight, I noted that the aileron trim tab (located on the right aileron) had a very healthy deflection upward. On the test flight, the airplane needed some aileron to counter the trim - we figured that the trim had been set for the airplane prior to painting and assuming that the paint shop had properly rigged the controls when re-installing them, I had my A&P bend the tab back to neutral. I then flew the plane home to San Diego and have flown it a couple hours since.

I noticed that if you leave the yoke alone in flight, the plane wants to roll right and it needs constant left aileron to keep level. It almost looks like there is slight upward delection in the right aileron, but I am not positive.

Does this sound like a rigging problem, or do I just need to bend the trim tab back up a little on the aileron to counter the roll?

I am wondering if the shop rigged the ailerons like they would on other Cessnas not realizing that the 48 has two fuel tanks on the right and only one on the left.

Thoughts?
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
blueldr

Re: aileron rigging vs trim - '48 170

Post by blueldr »

If you have a C-170 or a C170A, I don't know what your problem is. If you have a C-170B, you need to check your rigging since there is not supposed to be any trim tabs on the ailerons of the B model.

P.S. In rereading your comment, I realize that you have a C-170. Sorry if I screwed up. There has to be a first for everything.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well your not going to want to hear this. There is not suppose to be any trim tab on any aileron on any 170.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Well your not going to want to hear this. There is not suppose to be any trim tab on any aileron on any 170.
Interesting...I wonder if it was done as part of the metalized wing. It is a little tab of metal riveted onto the the right aileron.

If it isn't supposed to be there, then should I have it removed and re-rigged, or leave it alone and re-rig?

How big of a job is it to re-rig the ailerons in a '48?
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
Bruce Fenstermacher

I might be inclined to claim it as part of the metalized wing work :twisted: (it might be) and make it neutral then rig the plane best you can. Then use the tab to trim if all else fails. Don't have the time to research the trim procedures for the '48 right now. If no one else chimes up I might do some research.

Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I might be inclined to claim it as part of the metalized wing work :twisted: (it might be) and make it neutral then rig the plane best you can. Then use the tab to trim if all else fails. Don't have the time to research the trim procedures for the '48 right now. If no one else chimes up I might do some research.
I'm more curious as to the scope/cost of the job....the airplane is flyable in its current condition, but it would be nice to be able to fly it hands off/minimal control input in cruise.

Thanks Bruce!
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Fearless Tower,

Do a search on "Rigging the Cessna 170's" 8O or go to the MX Library section, open it and scroll down to the topic "Rigging the Cessna 170's" 8) written by Tom Hall and posted by George Horn. I used Tom's write up to re-rig my 170B. It turned out to be a very easy job with the correct tools. Just takes time. The article also describes how to do the 170 and 170 A if I remember correctly.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Jim His problem is that he has a metalized ragwing and the metalizing makes it hard or impossible to twist the wing with the struts as is done on the true ragwing to correct for a heavy wing. I lost track of which strut came from which side when I recovered the wing on my ragwing. As a result it was heavy on one wing which was easily corrected by adjusting the rear strut. That may be difficult to do with a wing which has been metalized. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

3958v wrote:Jim His problem is that he has a metalized ragwing and the metalizing makes it hard or impossible to twist the wing with the struts as is done on the true ragwing to correct for a heavy wing. I lost track of which strut came from which side when I recovered the wing on my ragwing. As a result it was heavy on one wing which was easily corrected by adjusting the rear strut. That may be difficult to do with a wing which has been metalized. Bill K
That makes sense and probably explains my theory that the trim tab was added as part of the metalized wing.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

The rig procedure should be in the owners manual, I have my 48 rigged pretty darn perfect, for me that is. my airplane was in pieces for about two years, and in that time somehow ( Lauren ) the lift struts got swapped. first test flight was interesting to say the least. preliminary rig was per owners operation manual, fine tuning was with the aft strut attach fittings. What I have is a airplane rigged for me that once trimmed in level flight in smooth air i can fly hands off and feet on the floor. With one hand in my lap and the other behind me i will get a 50 fpm climb, both hands on my knees -50 and any course drift I just rest light foot pressure on a rudder pedal. last year from kosh i was able to fly once at cruise altitude from Plymouth C65 ill. to Newcastle PA with just a occasional foot tap and a little weight shift for and aft. This year was the same except it was panel scan...traffic scan....Angry Birds on the smart phone.....panel scan....traffic scan....eat pasta salad....traf...well you get the idea. if you dint have the owners manual i could scan if you need the pages for the rig, but its straight forward, flaps rigged to wing contour, ailerons rigged faired to flaps. As far as the aft strut adjustment on a metalised wing, I would have to see it in order to comment on that.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Fearless what I'd do is fly and enjoy your plane a bit. I'd learn everything about it in the mean time. What I mean by this is observe how it flies. Figure out what might be the cause of something you just don't feel might be right like a heavy wing. In the mean time you might adjust the tab you have to make the plane fly a bit more hands off.

While you doing all of this you might run into someone with the right knowledge (and maybe license as well) to see what simple adjustments can be made to improve the plane.

But for now FLY IT.

Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: But for now FLY IT.
Good point Bruce!

I've waited long enough for this project to get back in the air, what I really need to do is fly it!

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Andrew,

I agree with Bruce. And, while flying look for Duane Shockey. He has a '48 C170 he restored and is an A&P. Perhaps tou have met him as he lives in San Diego, is a Past Pres of the Assoc and hosted last years fly-in at San Diego. H e should be able to help you out.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

jlwild wrote:Andrew,

I agree with Bruce. And, while flying look for Duane Shockey. He has a '48 C170 he restored and is an A&P. Perhaps tou have met him as he lives in San Diego, is a Past Pres of the Assoc and hosted last years fly-in at San Diego. H e should be able to help you out.
Ah, good point.....I didn't realize Duane was an A&P....I'll definitely be picking his brain!
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
Bruce Fenstermacher

And maybe after evaluation he can make a few simple adjustments if you buy him lunch. :D