ragwing project update

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ragwingrick

ragwing project update

Post by ragwingrick »

I am at about the 98% complete mark of the rebuild of the 48 ragwing, it seems the last 2% is the hardest and takes the longest. I have completed the engine instlation and ran it for the first time on Aug 14 / 11. I still have to do some full power assurance runs. I will have to wait untill next spring to start on the paint. (since I want it to go fast It will be green ) If the weather stays decent I hope to start on the insulation.

Ragwingrick
Attachments
SSA50539.JPG
SSA50522.JPG
SSA50518.JPG
ghostflyer

Re: ragwing project update

Post by ghostflyer »

Well done on your achievment. Its great reward to do do something like this.Looking forward to photos of the first flight However your color choice for a fast aeroplane is questionable. It is said red aeroplanes are fast and green ones are faster. However if you mix green and yellow [part of the red spectrum] you get Blue. So therefore Blue aeroplanes are even faster.[ a little aussie humor] My aeroplane is blue.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:...So therefore Blue aeroplanes are even faster.[ a little aussie humor] My aeroplane is blue.
Hence, the term.... "blue-streak"....??? (An electrical spark was sometimes viewed as being blue.....something "faster than a bluestreak" was a common vernacular term in East Texas during the 1930's thru 1950's) :wink:

Now... methinks it best to put this blue-plane talk to rest early....

"Talk a blue-streak..." is/was a reference to someone who said a lot in a short timeperiod..(not a trait of mine, I'm told...)

But BLUE planes faster'n RED planes???? All talk, IMO. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

They must mix colors different down under because green and yellow just makes a lighter yellow green. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:They must mix colors different down under because green and yellow just makes a lighter yellow green. :lol:
Yeah... blue and yellow make green in the northern hemisphere... :lol:

"Red meat is NOT bad for you. Now blue-green meat, THAT'S bad for you" »Tommy Smothers
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Remember your physics, guys. The shorter the wavelength, the more energy there is. Blue is shorter than green, green is shorter than red. Blue planes, having the most energy, must be fastest, red ones the slowest! :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jrenwick wrote:Remember your physics, guys. The shorter the wavelength, the more energy there is. Blue is shorter than green, green is shorter than red. Blue planes, having the most energy, must be fastest, red ones the slowest! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't forget how perceived color is merely reflected wavelengths....
Therefore blue and green ABSORB more energy....thereby wasting engine-output. RED planes require less energy and are able to convert the excess to SPEED! :lol:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote:
jrenwick wrote:Remember your physics, guys. The shorter the wavelength, the more energy there is. Blue is shorter than green, green is shorter than red. Blue planes, having the most energy, must be fastest, red ones the slowest! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't forget how perceived color is merely reflected wavelengths....
Therefore blue and green ABSORB more energy....thereby wasting engine-output. RED planes require less energy and are able to convert the excess to SPEED! :lol:
If we could only harness the hot air found on the forum. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Long live RED!!! :D
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.