Snapping sound from tail cone assembly

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

David Bengtson

Snapping sound from tail cone assembly

Post by David Bengtson »

Recently when the fuselage is pushed or rocked sided ways from just forward of horizontal stab., with the tail wheel
centered, the stresses cause a snapping sound from inside the tail cone assembly. My IA and I have checked everything
we can see, including crawling inside to rear bulkhead station 205.812 and can see nothing move when the noise occurs.
Also looked with a probe in every opening available. If we can not determine what the cause is our next step will have
to be removal of the vert fin, rudder, and horizontal stab. :( , which are firmly attached. Anyone have any ideas?
BengFly
56 170B N3496D SN 27039
N3092A

Re: Snapping sound from tail cone assembly

Post by N3092A »

My first thought would be to put your hand on the interface of the tailwheel spring assembly to the tailwheel bracket while you have someone move the aircraft in the manner you describe. There is probably some movement there that is making the noise. Hope that helps.
minton

Post by minton »

Theres an old automotive trick that might work in at least narrowing down the location----using a short piece of garden hose (Water removed) :lol: , put one end up to your "Good" ear if you have one :lol: and with the other end search for the noise. You should be able to narrow the area down.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I concur with N3092A. The noise is probably being generated by the tail spring and or tail wheel. I would lift the tail cone up and place a support under the tail wheel bracket just forward of the rudder. I would then go to the elevator tips and gently rock then to produce the fuselage twisting or flexing than might be going on when you rock the side of the fuselage. But this time the spring and wheel with not have any pressure on it. This will either eliminate the tail spring bracket, spring and wheel from consideration it the noise persists or pin point it to just those parts.

I also concur with Minton, a garden hose or any other convenient tube can make an excellent stethoscope and narrow down the point of a noise.

BTW have you simply checked the tightness of the Scott 3200 to the tail spring?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Dave, maybe one of these would help. I would loan you mine but you are all of Texas and several tiny states away.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 66550.html
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
170C

Post by 170C »

Dave, Harbor Freight also has an inexpensive stethoscope if you don't happen to have one. I have one & if you don't get your culprit located in the next day or two let me know and I'll fly up there and bring mine.

John, that video inspection camera is something I missed at HF. Is the probe small enough to fit through our spark plug holes so we could use it as a poor man's borescope? How good is the picture resolution? I might have to acquire one of these if it fits.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

170C wrote:Dave, Harbor Freight also has an inexpensive stethoscope if you don't happen to have one. I have one & if you don't get your culprit located in the next day or two let me know and I'll fly up there and bring mine.

John, that video inspection camera is something I missed at HF. Is the probe small enough to fit through our spark plug holes so we could use it as a poor man's borescope? How good is the picture resolution? I might have to acquire one of these if it fits.
Frank,
The probe does fit through a spark plug hole and the resolution is good. When you go to Harbor Freight you have to ask as they keep these guys under lock and key.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
David Bengtson

Post by David Bengtson »

Thanks for the imput. Regretably I don't have an oppurtunity to quickly check further. We are leaving for a week in Ohio
tomorrow. Had looked forward to flying the plane. Changed oil, filter, and decided to have my IA take a look. Oh well!!
Bruce, everything you can lay your hands on or see is tight. My IA did use some type of video probe, pencil size end and
flex shaft with an approx 21/2 inch screen. Nothing. I will say it takes a strong push to cause the snap. More than I can
imagine occurring in flight or any of my landings. Ha Ha! When I return will follow up on these suggestions. Sure hate
to think of taking it all apart.
BengFly
56 170B N3496D SN 27039
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The pawl-spring and pawl in the tailwheel assy may break/fracture and will cause such a shap when the tailwheel assy reaches the internal locking position.

Another common noise-source is rudder cable slap when the rudder moves in response to the tailwheel movement.

Dave, does the movement-required to produce the "snap" cause the unlocking of the tailwheel? (This would strongly point to the tailwheel assy itself.)

When you raise the tailcone and rest it on a pillow-on-a-box ( a-la Bruce's suggestion) ... try moving sideways the tailwheel it'self into a deflected postion to see if the snap is reproduced.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I agree with all above, but can add another idea. A skin "canning" can make a popping or snapping noise, so look at the skins on the upper and lower sides of the stabs, and at the tail cone skins in the areas where the tail spring support stringers extend forward into the tail section, about where tail pull handles would be installed. Do you have tail pull handles? If so, and they were installed to "tight" (to far aft, to low, or clocked wrong), they could pre-load the skin
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
N4005V

Post by N4005V »

Mine does this as well. I have the old style smaller bent tailwheel mount (I need to upgrade). I always assumed it was either a crack under the tailwheel mount at a rivet hole or a loose rivet and the skin is sliding on the rivet. Both situations are not so good. I always do a through preflight of the area, and will evetuall replace the tailwheel bracket. I am sure I will find the culprit once I drill off the bracket.