Carb Fuel Line Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Carb Fuel Line Question

Post by nippaero »

I finally got a change to pull the cowl off the 170. Should the fuel line to the carb have a fire sleeve on it? I am used to having fire sleeves or Aeroquip 466 on my O320 in my RV.

1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
bagarre

Re: Carb Fuel Line Question

Post by bagarre »

it's not a pressurized line. A fire sleeve is not required.
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Ok thanks. Sorry for the questions but I am having to re-think things after spending so much time in the Experimental world. Can a hose like this be replaced with say Aeroquip 303 or does one have to use a certified part from Cessna or something like that?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Just because it isn't required doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Mine are all firesleeved.

Aeroquip 303 would be fine as long as you use correct fittings and assembly procedure. No need to buy the official Cessna part.

DEM
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

In my opinion, all fuel hoses forward of the firewall should be firesleeved and all fittings should be steel. Go with the Teflon AE466 integral firesleeve. Not only is it nice and neat, but it has no calendar lifetime, unlike the rubber hoses.

The hose is considered a generic part so you can use any hose that meets requirements for material and pressure. There are very few hoses that must be replaced with Cessna parts. A few of the Cessna 210 gear hoses fit that description.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Nippaero, On old fuel line, no fire sleeve was required. There are a few requirements that affect the way aircraft fuel and oil systems are constructed for Type Certificated Aircraft. FAR § 23.99: Fuel system lines and fittings. (e) No flexible hose that might be adversely affected by exposure to high temperatures may be used where excessive temperatures will exist during operation or after engine shutdown. And §23.1183 Lines, fittings, and components. (a..., each component, line, and fitting carrying flammable fluids, gas, or air in any area subject to engine fire conditions must be at least fire resistant, ... Flexible hose assemblies (hose and end fittings) must be shown to be suitable for the particular application...
You must use external fire sleeve if you are not using Aeroquip or Stroflex hoses when you replace the old lines. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Thanks for the info guys.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

canav8 wrote:Nippaero, On old fuel line, no fire sleeve was required. There are a few requirements that affect the way aircraft fuel and oil systems are constructed for Type Certificated Aircraft. FAR § 23.99: Fuel system lines and fittings. (e) No flexible hose that might be adversely affected by exposure to high temperatures may be used where excessive temperatures will exist during operation or after engine shutdown. And §23.1183 Lines, fittings, and components. (a..., each component, line, and fitting carrying flammable fluids, gas, or air in any area subject to engine fire conditions must be at least fire resistant, ... Flexible hose assemblies (hose and end fittings) must be shown to be suitable for the particular application...
You must use external fire sleeve if you are not using Aeroquip or Stroflex hoses when you replace the old lines. Doug
While it is a good idea to conform to part 23 requirements, our aircraft were certified in accordance with CAR 3. The applicable regulation for fuel lines is this:
LINES, FITTINGS, AND ACCESSORIES
§ 3.550 Fuel system lines, fittings, and accessories. Fuel lines shall be installed and supported in a manner which will prevent excessive vibration and will be adequate to withstand loads due to fuel pressure and accelerated flight conditions. Lines which are
connected to components of the airplane between which relative motion might exist shall incorporate provisions for flexibility. Flexible hose shall be of an acceptable type.
I've added this article on maintaining flexible fuel hoses to the Maintenance Library. Page 6 shows some things to watch out for regarding hoses with firesleeving.
Last edited by n2582d on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Having the Teflon AE446 hose is the best , it's not a life item but goes on condition , BUT looking at the photo of your fire wall there is a lot of GREEN stains indicating a fuel leak .
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

There were no leakes that I could detect. I was using a rag soaked in old gas to wipe down everything. The gas really cuts through all the oil and grime.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I just got to thinking today while working on my O-320 in my RV6 that I never saw a fuel pump on my new C170. The fuel line goes straight from the gascolator to he carb. Is that normal? Was it an option from the factory? I am guessing it just relies on pressure form gravity :?:
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Yes, the fuel line goes straight to the carb from the gascolator. It's a gravity-fed fuel system from the tanks to the carb. No fuel pump is needed or approved for the stock C145/O-300 on the C-170s. Simplicity at its best.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gfeher wrote:...No fuel pump is needed or approved for the stock C145/O-300 on the C-170s. Simplicity at its best.
Unless it's a ragwing. :wink:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I have found that quite a few straight C-170 airplanes (Ragwings) are operating successfully without a fuel pump although a fuel pump is actually required to be completely legal. The fact that the required fuel pump is an automotive type operating off of a lobe on the camshaft, it is a damn site more expensive than a very similar one used on your old '38 Chevy. After all, it's going to be installed on some rich guy's airplane. I strongly believe that's why a good many of them have been left off of the engine.
I've never heard of a case of fuel starvation on a C-170 that is operating without a fuel pump.
BL
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

I believe Duane Shockey (CA) replaced his engine mounted pump with an electric fuel pump. Did this several years ago.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver