170 Landing Gear Attach Block

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Grasshopper.Kingdom

170 Landing Gear Attach Block

Post by Grasshopper.Kingdom »

I just got a 170A and am looking at it now to see what it needs. Having removed the inspection plates over the landing gear attach blocks I see that they look to be in good condition. They are colored green. Are these the stock blocks? How would I tellif they are the stock blocks?
GAHorn

Re: 170 Landing Gear Attach Block

Post by GAHorn »

A definition of your terms might be in order.
The color is unlikely to prove decisive as it regards to determinining "originality", if that is what you mean by "stock".
The "originals" might have been painted with chromate prior to re-installation....or, more likely, the ones presently installed are replacement units which were either preserved with chromate because they were in-storage or because the installer wished to treat them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Grasshopper.Kingdom

Thanks,

I'm trying to determine if the "stock" block was replaced with something of a different design. Am I correct to assume (from what you said) that the original stock blocks were not treated with chromate; and that since mine are treated with chromate, that they were taken out and treated with chromate?

Pieter
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Grasshopper.Kingdom wrote:Thanks,

I'm trying to determine if the "stock" block was replaced with something of a different design. Am I correct to assume (from what you said) that the original stock blocks were not treated with chromate; and that since mine are treated with chromate, that they were taken out and treated with chromate?

Pieter
It was not Cessna's normal procedure to chromate or corrosion protect anything internally. So if yours is chromated likely it was done after leaving the factory. The orginals could have been painted and reinstalled or replacements that were chromated could have been installed.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Grasshopper.Kingdom

Thank you for the last comment.
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

The inner and outer gear attach blocks of my '48 were also coated with what appears to be chromate primer.
There are no logbook entries indicating removal or replacement in the first 56 years, but of course you never know............
The primer did not protect the outer blocks from severe intergranular corrosion. Replacing them with new blocks from PPonk was a fair amount of work. I learned a lot about 170's in my first year of ownership........
Ragwing S/N 18073
Grasshopper.Kingdom

Thanks,

I just got this 170A as a project and am doing the usual detective work to figure it out.
Grasshopper.Kingdom

I'm probably going to replace the blocks with the pink blocks and might even put the 180 gear legs in there.

(Moderators note: He meant PONK not pink)
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Posting a picture of what you are talking about would make your question alot easier to understand. It is harder to explain in writing what you can easily show with a picture.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Ok I have hopefully erased all the offending posts and comments. Hopefully we can continue without any further distraction.

FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Now you have gone and killed the interest in this thread, bruce. Offending people is half the fun.
Bruce Fenstermacher

FredMa wrote:Now you have gone and killed the interest in this thread, bruce. Offending people is half the fun.
No Fred it really is not half the fun nor is it the intent of the forum or people who spend hours helping others on it or people coming here for the help.

Yes it happens unfortunately and perhaps more here because the moderators have a fairly liberal view what we allow. Good natured jokes and poking fun have always been a part of this Association but trying to offend people has not and will not be.

I'm thinking you made that comment tongue in cheek Fred, but offending people it is getting to be a sore spot.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Everyone needs to lighten-up and realize that no TIC170A Member deliberately intends to offend a visitor to the Forums. We all wish to "Preserve and Promote" this airplane and Welcome anyone else with sincere desires to do so.
Now that this question has been resolved, perhaps it needs to be relocated (or deleted) but let's just see if it (the original question) gets fully addressed before that action. - George
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Grasshopper.Kingdom

Hopefully the flap is over. I am a real person.
Grasshopper.Kingdom

Actually; I got a couple of helpful comments out of the experience anyway.