Red VS Green

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Red VS Green

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You may have noticed the occasional debate of which of the original colors Cessna choose is faster, Red OR Green. Here is the story which if not completely true, should be.

You see many many moons ago in the early days of this forum and the Yahoo Group before it there were at least two participants and as hard as it might be to imagine, they didn't agree on every point. Of course from time to time debate through the dry emotionless written word, got a bit out of hand. Just the mention of MOGAS or MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) could spark debate for hours.

The ridiculousness of much of the debate was not lost on the late Joe Harris, a member from Grand Prairie, TX. who was a regular here at the forum. And so he in his way decided to start an unwinnable debate that his green A model was faster than George's red B model. It was faster simply because it was green. It was Joe's way of bringing us all back from the brink to reality whether he intended it to or not.

In 2007 Joe died of colon cancer. http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... joe+harris. Since his passing, in his honor and memory several of us have taken up the green mantra. It takes several of us to keep up as Joe set a high bar and of course the opposing mind set lead by George, is very capable and never gives up.

Of course we have never heard from those sneaky buggers with the BLUE planes lurking in the shadows. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Re: Red VS Green

Post by bagarre »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: Of course we have never heard from those sneaky buggers with the BLUE planes lurking in the shadows. 8O
We're not faster or slower.

We just look better 8)
81D_Landing.jpg
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

You aren't fooling anyone, I clearly see that GREEN oil sump cover from your winterization kit on your nose bowl.
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

You didn't think anyone would notice with all that green grass and trees around, did you?
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Having just changed my mostly blue and in some spots green airplane into a red airplane I can say with some authority that it is most deffenately faster now.

Sent from my iPad
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

FredMa wrote:You aren't fooling anyone, I clearly see that GREEN oil sump cover from your winterization kit on your nose bowl.
Actually, it's bare aluminum. The green reflection helps slow me down for shorter landings 8O
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

bagarre wrote:
FredMa wrote:You aren't fooling anyone, I clearly see that GREEN oil sump cover from your winterization kit on your nose bowl.
Actually, it's bare aluminum. The green reflection helps slow me down for shorter landings 8O
Maybe you find yourself to fast because of the GREEN reflection and therefor have to slow down. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I think the green is reflecting at such a high rate on the sump cover that it's causing a pressure area, thus slowing down the plane.
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Kind of reminds me of the morning coffee shop in farm country
John Deer or Case IH...........and then there's the Fords :) :)

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks Bruce for the reminder. Many people don't know the story.
Joe was a pretty neat guy and really appreciated the people and pleasures of this organization. He enjoyed the debate about colors as well as many other subjects. Rest in peace friend.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
170C

Post by 170C »

Its difficult to realize that its been six years since we lost Joe. He was a great friend and a good person. Those of us who knew him at Grand Prairie Airport (GPM) often recall his gentle and fun loving nature. I had the good fortune to spend a lot of time flying with Joe. He felt everyone in the 170 association to be a friend. I will always remember that as Joe's final days were slipping away he told me not to be sad because he felt he had enjoyed a good life. He said, "Frank, just remember when your are flying that I will be right there beside you." I think of this often. He's up there somewhere flying that GREEN 170!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Joe is the reason Ina and I became involved with the 170 club. He came down to my hangar at Grand Prairie several times and invited us to join the group on fly-outs even though all I had at the time in Texas was the C-195. We were reluctant to go because we didn't have a 170 at the time but they made us feel right at home and part of the group. We would trail behind the flock of 170s which included two green planes, Joe's 170 and Frank's 172 taildragger and follow them around. Good times and we both miss Joe's easy style and friendly attitude.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!