F&M Oil filter adapter AND THREAD DRIFT-LOL

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: F&M Oil filter adapter

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

CAVU Mark wrote:I have available a number of talented people, machinists (they call themselves toolmakers) and fabricators at a local Museum where I volunteer so maybe I can fab one for myself.
Mark if I were going to make one of these for myself I'd find a about an 1" of 1" inside diameter square tube. I'd then use a file to square the corners, relieve the inside weld and just slightly chamfer the edges so the socket fits over the nut nice. Then I'd find one of the following items. A broken socket about in the 11/16 to 3/4 range that just fits inside the square or a 5/8 to 3/4 - 1" bolt corresponding nut and washer.
  • If you find a socket cut it down so you just have the square drive and about 3/4 of the socket. Slip (press/hammer) that into the square tube and weld.

OR

If you find a bolt, washer and nut combination, spin the nut on the bolt with the washer on it. Place the bolt combination with the head of the bolt in the square to visualize the finished product. Make sure the square tube is deep enough to fit the square nut with the bolt head inside it. You may need a large area washer on the bolt to completely cover the square tube end. Remove the bolt combination and weld the nut to the bolt being careful not to ruin the nut shape so it can't be driven by a socket. Weld the bolt heat do to the washer, then place the bolt head back in the square tube and weld the tube to the washer. You might also want to weld the bottom of the nut to the washer but you must be able to get a sockekt on the nut when your done.
Place square tube in suitable vise and use torque wrench to test socket welds to at least 65 lb.

Use grinder to finish to suit and paint green (or red if you want to sell it for a premium).

The broken socket might be hard to find and you will be limited by the drive size you find and the clocking you welded it in that according to Murphy's law won't work with the torque wrench you have.

The nut drive parts on the other hand are easier to find, is driven by what ever size socket drive your socket has, and the clocking possibilities between the square socket, your drive socket and your torque wrench are greater.

But I wouldn't know anything about making these. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Or you can do what I did when I installed mine 11 years ago with no subsequent troubles at all.... use your "calibrated" wrist and a big Crescent-wrench, no socket required. (I only have the socket so I can lay claim to the only RED one in existence...I've never used nor needed it.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
CAVU Mark

Post by CAVU Mark »

Update: F&M did call and emailed today so I retract my prior comment. Instructions were sent and he Bob from F&M left a call back number. The plane and newly clocked adapter is now waiting for its first flight, perhaps Saturday. Next project is circuit breakers and sorting out the rats nest under the panel. Thanks everyone for your help, now if I could only get a similar response time from the Waco forum!
Mark
n2582d

F&M Oil filter adapter 1" socket

Post by n2582d »

For those who missed out on Bruce's custom socket, for around $22 you can buy a Wright 4332 1" 8-point socket with 1/2" drive.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: F&M Oil filter adapter 1" socket

n2582d wrote:For those who missed out on Bruce's custom socket, for around $22 you can buy a Wright 4332 1" 8-point socket with 1/2" drive.
How could they miss out when they would be making the socket themselves. Just takes initiative to do it. And besides saving $22 and shipping, you will have great satisfaction you made the tool, every time you use it :D

BTW since I've been apprenticing for my A&P now for 16 months, the shop has had the occasion to change oil in a few small Continental engines. I was either assigned the task cause I had a 1" square socket or I lent mine to the mechanic performing the job. My supervisor, and man with a very large, Snap-on tool box filled with Snap-on tools admired my socket a few times and finally asked if I would make him one. I told him he could buy a Wright socket but he said he'd rather have one I made. While he likes new Snap-on, he also admires fabricated or customized purpose tools. As I'd recently come across another socket I'd made, I presented him with the Green one I had in my box he admired.

You'll have to ask George about the significants of the Red vs Green versions as he's the owner of the only RED one in existence.

n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
n2582d wrote:For those who missed out on Bruce's custom socket, for around $22 you can buy a Wright 4332 1" 8-point socket with 1/2" drive.
How could they miss out when they would be making the socket themselves. Just takes initiative to do it. And besides saving $22 and shipping, you will have great satisfaction you made the tool, every time you use it :D
That was my plan when I went into the last real hardware store in Fresno to pick up some 1” square tubing. They had several gauges of 1” square tubing, one of which would have worked perfectly. But for less money than the 36” stick they also had a Wright 4332 socket, something you could never find at the orange store 20X the size across the street. I can never leave National Hardware in less than 45 minutes — not because I can’t find what I’m looking for but because it’s a living hardware museum. They have everything you can imagine. I also generally spend 45 minutes every time I go to the orange hardware store ... trying to find someone to help me locate an item.☹️

I’d be glad to buy a stick of the 1” square tubing and cut it up into 36 pieces to mail out but I doubt we have that much of a market for homemade sockets.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:...

You'll have to ask George about the significants of the Red vs Green versions as he's the owner of the only RED one in existence.
Some of the Best and FUN moments and memories of our conventions are the Auctions and the Shenanigans that are foisted on each other.

The MORAL of this saga is: A neophyte con and an inexperienced shill do not a confidence-team make... but with “a little bit o’ luck” ...and a sympathetic fool,... a crooked auction can succeed!

Bruce made some Green square sockets and one Red one which were auctioned at Benton Harbor... and my Red one is FAST asleep in my toolbox (courtesy of Bruce’s shill Jim Wildharber) as a reminder of the camaraderie and pranks played in this Association. :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

n2582d wrote:... I can never leave National Hardware in less than 45 minutes — not because I can’t find what I’m looking for but because it’s a living hardware museum. They have everything you can imagine. I also generally spend 45 minutes every time I go to the orange hardware store ... trying to find someone to help me locate an item.☹️.
We have a similar hardware store in Brighton called Rolison’s. I’m sure it’s been there since before the streets were paved. It definitely has that “hardware store smell” that just tells you you are going to find what you came in for. The worst thing about it is that it’s in the same block as Karen’s favorite jewelry store. :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
170C

Post by 170C »

I still have my Bruce Socket, it works well and fast due to its GREEN color ppl :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You KNOW you’re in a good hardware store when the wood floors are worn-smooth and impart a kerosene smell to the room.

Ol’ Gar introduced Jamie and I to one of the best in Natchitoches, La.
Worth the online visit:
https://www.kaffiefrederick.com/
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

That is very cool! It's nearly 100 years older than National Hardware Supply in Fresno. I'd pay an admission fee just to enter.
Gary
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

There was just such an old family-run hardware store near me when I bought my house in 1983. It had the smell, the creaky floors, the stuff piled to the ceiling, and the self-serve rotating nail bin in the basement. But I guess I didn’t shop there enough, because they went out of business. Might have been the Depot and Lowe’s coming to town, too. :(
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I remember Benton harbour very well or so I thought, for the gopher hole and Bruce’s coloured sockets ( I met Gary 2582D but He had to remind me of that at Oshkosh 2018). Sometimes its hard to remember everything but as for auctions, the precious last 170 coffee cup scam foisted on the gentleman from Hawaii (an airline Capt) had to be the worst, sucked me in a bit, him hook, line and sinker.
Bruce I would think your a better A&P as an apprentice than many journeymen, good luck with your licence.
Back to the external filter debate, I’ve stuck to the plain screen. Its messy but I still like the simple appro@ch here.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

170C wrote:I still have my Bruce Socket, it works well and fast due to its GREEN color ppl :mrgreen:
I can't remember seeing Bruce's socket, but what I did was cut the open end off from a 1" open end wrench and welded a socket to it.
Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53 wrote:the precious last 170 coffee cup scam foisted on the gentleman from Hawaii (an airline Capt) had to be the worst, sucked me in a bit, him hook, line and sinker.
The believe first "Last Coffee Cup" scam, was pulled at Branson, MO. I'll bet George still chooses the set farthest from Naomi Goodlett when they sit down at a Texas fly-in. :)