Top Overhaul

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KenyaSkies

Top Overhaul

Post by KenyaSkies »

Hi All. It turns out that I have one cracked cylinder. We are therefore going to carry out a Top Overhaul with 900 hrs remaining on the engine life. As there are no parts in Kenya please could you advise as to where the best place is to order a list of parts from including at least one new cylinder. Thanks, Nick
nippaero

Re: Top Overhaul

Post by nippaero »

I bought my cylinders and parts from Aircraft Specialties. http://www.aircraft-specialties.com
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

I've heard good things about these guys as well:

http://www.jjairparts.com/

I bought a set of Millenium cylinders from them last year and they were very pleasant to work with.
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I bought cylinders from JJ Airparts before and was happy. They had the best price I could find. When I overhauled my engine I bought most of the parts from Airpower Inc. (Van Bortel). Overall the pricing was good, and the service was excellent. If they didn't have something in stock they found it and dropped shipped it for the same price, or upgraded to OEM Lycoming (I bought mostly PMA parts).

I have no clue if any of these guys will ship to Kenya, but probably not. Most OEM's have territorial distribution agreements. Also, do you need 8130's? Again, many of these US distributers may not be able to do that, and if they do often there is an extra charge.

Anyone who complains about the FAA, parts prices, maintenance costs, etc... just needs to travel abroad and see how the rest of the world aviates. It cured me! US aviators have it SO good.

DEM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Whenever anyone contacts me for cylinders, I recommend JJ Airparts. They provide excellent service for Continental/TCM and Superior cylinders.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

When I bought my Superior cylinders (six of them) earlier this spring, I called all over the place. From what I found, everyone pretty much has the same price. I do think it is a good idea to support the guys who give you the best service. It was more a matter of who had them available. It seemed like there was a shortage of O300 cylinders everywhere and they were backordered. AS was able to get me six of them the quickest.

George (and others),
Who do you recommend for sending engine parts to? We are tearing down my motor next month and will need to send the steel parts and case out. I was going to use DivCo and Aircraft Specialties. Any others I should consider?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Those are both good shops.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Cheap set of rebuilt cylinders on Barnstormers today. No affiliation.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019