What Charger to Purchase?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

What Charger to Purchase?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am purchasing a new Battery for my Cessna 170B

Read suggestion that battery be "bench charged prior to installation"

Like many of us I have owned a variety of simple battery chargers. But now knowing the internal chemistry is different from automotive and the warnings in charger in instructions small print "Not for Aviation usage" What moderately priced charger should I purchase?

I searched our site no definitive answer.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Ron Smith

Re: What Charger to Purchase?

Post by Ron Smith »

I went with the Odyssey battery and the Batteryminder Odyssey charger. Battery is about 15 pounds lighter. My first one lasted 9 years 6 months, I am on my second.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

blueldr's old pals Manny, Moe, and Jack have a micro-processor controlled multi-function charger for flooded cell, gel cell, and AGM batteries (http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductD ... 4026806ACP) that I have been using on my Concorde AGM RG-25XC for several years now. The battery was installed in 2006 and is still strong.

I have left the master switch on two times in the 170 and run the battery down to the point LED lights on my instruments won't light up and obviously the alternator won't energize either until given a little charge, even if the engine is hand propped.

After the last master switch "event" about a month ago, and after using the charger for a few days, the battery voltage is just above 13v after resting a few days since charge.

Concorde recommends Battery Minder brand charger/maintainer but none are sold locally and I needed something right now so Pep Boys saved the day and have had excellent service with the charger.

I have both Odyssey and Concorde AGM batteries and have had comparable excellent service from both, on the order of 6-8 years. I have not ever used a battery minder on any of my batteries on a continuous basis, and only charge them when I leave the master switch on (by mistake or when working on something).

I regularly let the planes sit for several months at a time and the AGM batteries are always 12.3v or higher when I hit the master switch.

I will never put another flooded cell battery in a plane again.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Moonlight, what type and make of battery did you go with? what is the resting voltage on the battery showing now?
i just put a new Concorde 25xc in my 52b and mine showed 13.1v right from the box so no charging needed before install. if it is around 12.75 and below you should charge it.
have a read of this article....
http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/ ... directed=1
DWood

Post by DWood »

I'd be interested to hear what people are using on the Concorde sealed batteries...
Arash:
I have had the same Concorde RG-25 for over 6 years in the 170 without any issues. I am planning on replacing it in April during the annual just so I don't get surprised when it goes bad. I like it and the battery box stays clean! I have never used a battery minder or charger from day one.
Dan
DWood

Post by DWood »

Arash:
Same here on the charger. My Son works for "A well known Aviation Parts Co" and I will have him ask the next time the Concorde Reps come in. I only have the automotive type chargers and would probably use the lowest setting if required to charge it.
Thx,
Dan
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

DWood wrote:Arash:
Same here on the charger. My Son works for "A well known Aviation Parts Co" and I will have him ask the next time the Concorde Reps come in. I only have the automotive type chargers and would probably use the lowest setting if required to charge it.
Thx,
Dan
We had a Concord rep put on a good presentation at the Convention in St.Louis. He advised that the Chargers for automotive batteries are not the same as chargers for aircraft batteries. It has to do with the voltage regulation. Aircraft batteries may be damaged by charging with too high of voltage that some automotive chargers put out. You just need To check and monitor the output voltage of whatever charger you use. Having said all of that, I personally have used battery maintainers without any problems. :?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
DWood

Post by DWood »

We had a Concord rep put on a good presentation at the Convention in St.Louis. He advised that the Chargers for automotive batteries are not the same as chargers for aircraft batteries. It has to do with the voltage regulation. Aircraft batteries may be damaged by charging with too high of voltage that some automotive chargers put out. You just need To check and monitor the output voltage of whatever charger you use. Having said all of that, I personally have used battery maintainers without any problems.
Ed:
Did they recommend any specific battery chargers?

EDIT: I see they do sell minders and chargers on their site. http://www.concordebattery.com/accessories.php

EDIT 2: Here is the Concorde minder @ Spruce and the rating is 8 Amps
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... 48aas5.php

Thx,
Dan
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

DWood wrote:
We had a Concord rep put on a good presentation at the Convention in St.Louis. He advised that the Chargers for automotive batteries are not the same as chargers for aircraft batteries. It has to do with the voltage regulation. Aircraft batteries may be damaged by charging with too high of voltage that some automotive chargers put out. You just need To check and monitor the output voltage of whatever charger you use. Having said all of that, I personally have used battery maintainers without any problems.
Ed:
Did they recommend any specific battery chargers?

EDIT: I see they do sell minders and chargers on their site. http://www.concordebattery.com/accessories.php

Thx,
Dan
Sorry, I did not take any notes and don't remember any specific chargers that he recommended. Maybe someone else that was at the presentation will chime in.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
DWood

Post by DWood »

Sorry, I did not take any notes and don't remember any specific chargers that he recommended. Maybe someone else that was at the presentation will chime in.
Ed:
I have edited my previous post and added links to what Concorde recommends. I would think that since the minder puts out 8 Amps that it can be used to charge a dead Concorde but I am not sure.

Arash:
You might want to call Concorde and ask if you are considering buying a charger for yours.

Thx,
Dan
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

you definitely want one that will do Constant Current... most auto ones are Constant Voltage. Multi-stage chargers are the way to go and will change depending on the state of charge of the battery and will monitor the charge so not to overcharge it. worst thing to do is stick an auto-charger on one that is discharged or hand-propping it.
170C

Post by 170C »

After many years of using Gill batteries (non sealed) I tired of having the white stuff all over my battery terminals and eating on my battery box. I purchased a sealed Concorde RG-25S. Don't recall how long it lasted, but when it went belly up I purchased another one of the same brand, model, etc. That was in February of 2009. I am still using it. When I knew I wasn't going to be flying my plane for a while (turned out to be about 20 months) I purchased a Battery Minder from a Auto Zone and kept it hooked up until Richard flew my plane from TX to TN at which time I again put the Battery Minder back on since it would be another year before I was able to get my medical back and begin flyin again. So far that battery is still operating well. That BM unit supposedly desulficates (?) the battery. On those occasions when I have had to use a battery charger (prior to putting in the current Concorde) I have used an automotive charger set on the lowest setting with good results. Now that I bragg on the Concorde I hope it doesn't crap out tomorrow :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I hate to do this because I know it will bring up the possibility of a debate but here goes anyway....

The presentation by the Concord rep at convention this last summer was a good one. I liked the guy and he was very informative. His job is to promote Concord batteries and their other vended products like certain chargers.
He suggested the Battery Minder* brands, and don't be confused by a similar-sounding "Battery Tender"* brand. I found that very interesting since both the one he suggested and the similar competitor are both automotive type chargers.

I have read many times over the detailed differences between automotive and aircraft batteries and their electrolyte specific gravity differences and all the warnings about using special chargers (constant current vs voltage) etc... and it still raises a question in my mind: How is it that bench-top chargers for aviation batteries are so promoted over simpler, cheaper automotive chargers.... when in actual practice the charging systems IN THE AIRPLANES using those batteries are still essentially the same as those found in automobiles using common automobile batteries?

There is nothing "magic" about your airplane's charging system so why would your battery need anything different to charge it up for immediate use than a common automotive charger?
The only reason I conclude for a different type charger is when the battery is kept constantly connected to a charger, in which case one needs to have a charger which will not overcharge... i.e., "boil" your battery when it's connected long-term.

The problem with most automotive battery chargers is that few of them are designed to remain constantly connected during periods of inactivity. Most automotive chargers are used to service a low battery in order to return it to immediate service.... not to maintain the battery during long periods of sitting in a hangar.

There is a simple, inexpensive battery "maintainer" which I bought at Sears, but which is sold under different badges including Schumacher, etc. which can be had for less than $25 and can be left connected indefinitely as a battery maintainer.
Here's Tractor Supply's version: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... _vc=-10005
712euTCsO9L._SL1500_.jpg
I have kept my boat, tractor, airplane (with Concord), and all sorts of spare batteries connected indefinitely and it has always done the job. I have therefore concluded that the need for special equipment costing big bucks is not necessary because this unit has a solid state regulator which monitors the battery constantly. In other words, it is designed specifically for long term connection to the battery.

*Edit: accidentally reversed these two brands, now corrected.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I purchased the Concorde sealed battery.

1 Concorde Sealed Battery RG-25XC 237.95

1 Battery Minder 12 V 12448-S5 189.95 Total bill 427.90 Aircraft Spruce

Yes I probably paid 100.00 too much for the Charger.. The determining factor was the labeling on the Charger 'AVIATION CALIBRATED FOR CONCORDE ONLY"

I understand that the -S5 in the model number is special designation for Concorde. This is probably the 4th or 5 th generation minder style charger.

The charger can be used for sealed or wet (filler caps) lead acid GA batteries only . Not for ni-cad. Unit states on side of case maintenance charger - Desulfator..

VDC Electronics, Inc 800379-5579 (ET)

I purchased a new battery for my Dodge Ram truck several months ago. Shocked at current battery prices. Tried and tried to get a deal. No Way.
Truck battery cost was with in 5 - 10 dollars of aircraft battery. Can we be expecting a major jump in aircraft battery prices? Can we?

Keep your Voltage up

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

The last time I bought a new Concorde RG 25 XC I was concerned about charging it after reading all the data that came with the battery. I called Concorde and talked to one of the engineers about what kind of charger was required. He said just charge it with whatever you have. I didn't ask him about constant long term charging/maintaining as I do not do that with any of my batteries and I regularly get 6-8 years life out of the AGM s. I specifically asked and his answer was he was not that concerned about charging with the exact voltages listed in the data.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!