Forward carry through spar

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

learaviator

Forward carry through spar

Post by learaviator »

Is anybody aware of a source for new front carry through spars? Yep.....During annual I found four popped rivet heads on the front right side. I imagine it is going to need a carry through spar judging from what I have read here.
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL
ghostflyer

Re: Forward carry through spar

Post by ghostflyer »

I would have a experienced IA/A&P have a detailed inspection before going that far of replacement. I would be looking at the condition of the rivets and the amount of corrosion that in the area. Has the parent metal around that area distorted .
Has the rivets been the only part that has corroded . Changing that spar is not a easy job .
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

I probably have one. Aeropodinc at gmail dot com if you need one.
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

Pulled off one wing drilled out the cover over the forward carry through spar and surprisingly there's very little corrosion inside the spar.... Looks like it is strictly isolated to those four rivets possibly the front face of the carry through spar which I will find out after I get it out. I'm going to go ahead and pull off the other wing pull out the forward and the rear carry through spar clean them and treat them inside ..... Going to replace all the rivets ....I don't ever want to be concerned with this area again. So far to take one wing off .....drill out the forward cover over the carry through spar and half of the roof drilled off .....I've only got about 5 1/2 hours into it...... Another half hour I'll have the rest of the roof drilled off ....well worth the effort.... Since I'm this far it's getting all new control cables and a new windshield.... Going to go ahead and pull out both fuel tanks make sure they're clean inside there and install all new hardware
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Yep, that's how those complete restorations start!
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

hilltop170 wrote:Yep, that's how those complete restorations start!
Hahahahahahah..... Wait a minute that's not funny.... :)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

If you're going that far, I'd consider replacing the few electrical wires in the wings and roof. Much easier with it all open

Might even pull wires for a second landing light and strobes since you're there.
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

bagarre wrote:If you're going that far, I'd consider replacing the few electrical wires in the wings and roof. Much easier with it all open

Might even pull wires for a second landing light and strobes since you're there.
Ha ha you read my mind! I dug out all my strobe stuff last night that I've been saving up for a while ......wiring harness....iwingtip strobes.....quad flash power supply .......Funny you should mention second landing light.... A friend and I the other day were discussing what it would take to put landing lights in the right wing......LOL..... Also going to strip all of the old primer and glue and crap off of the roof skin while I have it off and repainted..... I was not looking forward to doing that while it was in the airplane with stripper dripping down on me...... I got the roof skin off last night I'll get the rear carry through spar cleaned out today and get a good close look at it
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

learaviator wrote:
bagarre wrote:If you're going that far, I'd consider replacing the few electrical wires in the wings and roof. Much easier with it all open

Ha ha you read my mind! I dug out all my strobe stuff last night that I've been saving up for a while ......wiring harness....iwingtip strobes.....quad flash power supply .......Funny you should mention second landing light.... A friend and I the other day were discussing what it would take to put landing lights in the right wing......LOL..... Also going to strip all of the old primer and glue and crap off of the roof skin while I have it off and repainted..... I was not looking forward to doing that while it was in the airplane with stripper dripping down on me...... I got the roof skin off last night I'll get the rear carry through spar cleaned out today and get a good close look at it
Funny how one damn job just leads to another......when do you stop ? :?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

Funny how one damn job just leads to another......when do you stop ? :?[/quote]

Welllllll.........I have a flat instrument panel already made up,,,,,,,,so.....I'm stopping just before that.... :roll:
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

You'll know you're in too deep when you start pulling the tail off next week :wink:
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

Well I got the fuel tank out ........35 minutes to get all the screws out..... Not bad.....cut off wheel on die grinder, grind a slot in every screw for a big blade screw driver to fit into.....loosen the screws and if you were wise enough to have cut the slot lined up with one of the Phillips head slots, you can still use a Makita to run them all out....zero corrosion in the tank area, all of the rubber strips under the tank had worked their way off......one broken tank hold down strap.....broken at the end with the screw tightening it up.....of course doing this with the wing off the airplane makes it easier..... :D
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

Well upon closer inspection with the fuel tank out and after a good cleaning, I find three rivet heads corroded off on the rear spar attach point on the wing. This is the front side facing the tank. Only light surface corrosion on the spar strap and surrounding skin.....this area would be impossible to see without removal of the fuel tank. And looking at the backside through the hole that one of the aileron cables pass through, there is nothing to lead you to believe that there's a problem with these rivets. I am so glad I decided to pull all of this apart......things happen for a reason..... :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Great time to replace the upper cabin skin and get rid of all the old antenna holes. .... (be sure to build a jig to keep the cabin/fuselage straight while you press-on with the restoration...) ... :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Photos?