STC, 337s for cessna 170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Francis Cahoon

Re: STC, 337s for cessna 170

Post by Francis Cahoon »

Thank you guys. I am finding it very hard to find the right info. At present time the FAA guy is being very helpful. With any luck I might be able to use my (good deal) tires that I purchased. Thanks again Francis
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Emphasis on: " However, if you want to use a previous field approval or
STC as the basis for approval on your aircraft, you must have all the previous field approval or
STC data, including any instructions for continued airworthiness, or develop any missing data
through support from an appropriately authorized DER or ACO approval and permission from
the STC holder
..."

Most 337's do NOT include such supporting data.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

Thank you gahorn, I currently have the papers that you had mentioned earlier. Those being, one major repair and alteration, one work sheet for tundra tire installation, one description of work accomplished, and new weight and balance calculations. The FAA guy has been very helpful, I am taking all the stuff to my IA tomorrow. Oh and the tires have to have a TSO number also. Hope this helps anyone looking to put bigger tires on their 170, and I would be willing to help anyone else thinking about this type of mod. Thank you. F.Cahoon
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

Thank you wakinsnv, I think I might have most of the stuff you mentioned. The FAA here has been great, helpful, understanding, and timely. I should know shortly being all the stuff is at the AD as we speak with the inspector coming next week. Thank you to all the people that has try to help me in this endeavor, 26" goodyear tires on my 55 170b. Thank you. F.Cahoon
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

My plane now has the goodyear 26" tires installed. It has not been that bad getting the approval. I hope to fly soon, needs to dry out some before that can happen. Does any one that has these tires on their plane able to give me advice, such as braking distance, sideways movement, etc. Thank You, Francis Cahoon
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

I don't have the larger tires but would like to see pictures of what you have installed. You may want to mention what type brakes you have etc. for a proper comparison. Pictures could also inspire others considering the same type of modification.
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

Fredma, I have Cleveland double puck brakes, and I will try to send some pictures, if I can figure it out. Last time someone else was kind enough to help me with that. What I have noticed is how much the plane moves side to side while stationary. Side walls flex a lot in my opinion. That is one thing I was wondering is normal. And how much air pressure should I run, landing in fields, on hill tops, along rivers banks some with small rocks, other on sand. At present time I have 15 pounds, I also put marks on tires and wheels to show any slippage. Looks better to me. That's only my opinion.
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Under the "pilot's lounge" the first topic is "Photo album" click on that and you will find the link on how to post pictures. Is your landing strip on the reservation or just near it? It looks like a beautiful part of the country that I would love to explore if I ever get a chance or find the time.
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

FredMa, Thanks for the info, I will try to take picture of her tomorrow, and try to post it. The strip I keep my plane at is on the res about 5 miles from my house. I land in the farmers field across the gravel road next to my house a lot. I also have been landing a lot of other off airport spots, uphill, downhill, along the river, the county roads, gravel pits, etc. any where that I can. this has been with the small 800 tires. I plan on taking my family up to Alaska this summer, so I thought I should know a little bit about off airport landing before I take my family. I hope the bigger tires add more landing spots. Then maybe bigger later. If you ever get up this way look me up, we have several rooms free now most of the kids are gone. there is a lot of stuff to do here if you like outdoor things, lots of places to fly and look at stuff, not many people, not many rules, just the way I like it.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Francis Cahoon wrote:Fredma, I have Cleveland double puck brakes, and I will try to send some pictures, if I can figure it out. Last time someone else was kind enough to help me with that. What I have noticed is how much the plane moves side to side while stationary. Side walls flex a lot in my opinion. That is one thing I was wondering is normal. And how much air pressure should I run, landing in fields, on hill tops, along rivers banks some with small rocks, other on sand. At present time I have 15 pounds, I also put marks on tires and wheels to show any slippage. Looks better to me. That's only my opinion.
Francis the side to side is normal with tundra tires. You must learn to get used to it. :) Air pressure is a gauged on terrain you are landing on or buoyancy needed. Operating pressure can be anywhere from 8 to 20 lbs. I have talked to people that have run tunrda tires at 4 lbs. You will want enough air so that if you run over a stick you will not puncture a tire but you want it low enough that if you roll over a boulder you will not break the bead on the tire. Start with more air then air down. Also keep in mind that if you are going to different places you have never been to before to look over the terrain before you attempt to land it.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

Doug, thank you for your input. Sounds like good advice. Today was first time flying with the 26" goodyears. I did not notice the side to side movement that I thought I would. But braking was noticeably different, more pressure to stop, turn. Also on wet grass seemed to slide more easy. made landing lots easier, seemed to not bounce as easy. Could not tell much difference on take off roll distance. But keep in mind I am not the best pilot or the most experienced. Yet, wishfull thinking on my part. It seems higher getting in and out for sure. Also noticed when landing on pavement tires seemed to churp more than normal. Main tires seemed to stay on top of the dirt while the tail wheel seemed to leave a 2" deep trench in some of the places I landed. All in all I think that I will really like these tires. Need more time and more different terrain to be sure. I will try to post the picture I took today. Thanks to everyone that has helped me with this mod. Thanks Francis Cahoon
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Francis Cahoon wrote: there is a lot of stuff to do here if you like outdoor things, lots of places to fly and look at stuff, not many people, not many rules, just the way I like it.
:D