Do I need two radios?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gparker

Do I need two radios?

Post by gparker »

Doing an upgrade because my old Terra radio died. My other radio, a Radair, still works well but it is so old that it doesn't have half of the frequencies in use today. I will be installing a used but good KX-155, and taking out the Radair,but i'm wondering if I need a second radio. The Icom A-210 looks great. My friend recommends a used KY-97, but the used ones seem to cost as much as a new Icom. Other option, which I may do regardless, is put an antenna wire to connect to my handheld, but that would mean i would need to make sure the battereis are charged before each flight. Opinions?
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
GAHorn

Re: Do I need two radios?

Post by GAHorn »

VFR? No need for anything but a handheld.
IFR? Unless you plan to shoot ILS-PRM approaches,
all you need is a handheld also, because ATC will expect
you to continue as previously cleared, or will ask
you to IDENT if you can receive them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Well, since you asked for OPINIONS... :wink:

(I am a VFR only pilot)

I have a single GPS com that I put in two years ago when I bought 81D.
Since then, I bought an Aera 510 handheld GPS.

If I could do it all again, I'd throw away the Garmin 250 and put in two slimline SL40's or even two FL-760's.
I like the idea of having two comms and I never use the GPS features of the 250. I fly in the DC SFRA so, comms are pretty important to me. If I was at an uncontrolled field, I don't know if I'd worry about it so much.

For now, I'll just keep my hand held in the seat pocket.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

David needs two coms or a good com and a good backup handheld com because of where he flys. Most of us don't fly in airspace that warrant two coms.

Yes I have two coms. I even installed the second com. The two reasons I installed the second com were the first com, a VAL did not have a flip-flop feature. We did not have a VOR nav radio and we wanted one. We installed a used KX-125 and got the flip-flop and VOR and it had a built in OBS indicator. We saw no reason to remove the VAL.

Since you are installing the KX-155 you will have the flip-flop an nav functions I wanted. You will need a OBS for the VOR though. But it is all I'd bother with myself.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gparker

Post by gparker »

The Kx-155 has the glideslope and localizer too. Im in a declutter mode right now, so i'll probably go with one com.
Im using the iPad so much now that I may not get another handheld GPS.(My Garmin 295 died).
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Been away so I got into this late. I flew my champ all over the country with a handheld radio to external antennae. I used the early model Garmin 92 to help navigate. I purchased the AA battery pack for the handheld. The handheld GPS was also AA. I just carried enough AAs to get me where I was going - could always find them at stops along the way. Surprising how long a AA will last. Sometimes simpler is better.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
fishdoc

Post by fishdoc »

Having 2 radios is awfully handy when flying in and out of class B, C and D air space - being able to stay tuned on one while planning ahead and getting set up for the next.
And anytime you are travelling together with other aircraft.
I do a lot of flying with 1 or 2 other planes and it would be very difficult with 1 radio - staying in touch with them while monitoring and announcing on the proper frequencies otherwise.
It can all be done with a hand held but it's a lot less work with 2 in the panel, IMHO.
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Aren't opinions great?

Bruce hit the nail on the head. It really depends on your mission ( and pocket book).
Two radios means an audio panel which means more material and labor cost to install, something else to consider.
I never thought about listening on two freqs at once. One is busy enough for me :)

Pulling my plugs out and sticking them in my handheld, although not ideal, is enough for me to hear "Transponder Observed" and get back home.

If you find yourself needing to listen on two freqs often or switch between three frequencies a lot, the audio panel might be worth considering.
170C

Post by 170C »

I had two radio's (plus a handheld) for quite some time, then lived for years with an ICOM 200 (great radio for the price and I still have it). Finally decided to add a second radio as I like to use it as several above use theirs. Added an ICOM 210. Really a good radio with lots of capabilities, but if you can locate a used ICOM 200 it does as well for less $$.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018