internal corosion proofing

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ohanley

internal corosion proofing

Post by ohanley »

Is internal corrosion proofing a factory option or was it standard practice in 1950?

:?:

Olan
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I'm not sure about 1950 but at least from 1960 on it was always an option
although I recall it was included with the seaplane kit.
I was the Cessna Dealer in Jamaica from 1960 till 1980. The first few years I ordered "Corrosion Proofing" for my airplanes and for customers. But then I realized that better protection could be had from non-corrosion proofed planes if they were treated with a good intrenal spraying of an oil based solution.

Factory "Corrosion Proofing" in 1960 included applying zinc chromate on skin panels before assembly, so the internal laps were protected. However, the panels were then drilled and riveted and there was no protection in the drilled holes. (Airplanes built to military specs and Britten Norman Islanders had zinc chromate putty or some other protection applied into the rivet holes prior to riveting, and the rivets themselves are corrosion protected).

A few years after 1960, factory "Corrosion Proofing" consisted of nothing more than spraying zinc chromate primer into the interior of components after they were assembled, offering minimal protection. For this they charged, as I recall, around $1,200 and increasing every year.

Until they went out of business, U.S. Rust Control Corporation of Miami had a great product, XP-400A. Now I spray the interior my 170 after each annual with Corrosion-X which is costly but works well.

My airplanes were based in a highly corrosive seashore environment.
They were not hangared. And we never had a problem with internal corrosion. External corrosion of course had to be controlled in the usual way.
Rudy