Broken Rudder Return Spring - Again

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Broken Rudder Return Spring - Again

Post by Robert Eilers »

The left side rudder return spring broke again - had to hold right rudder all the home. I replaced the same spring #0310196-4 in 2005. I took Bluldr's suggestion and disconnected the rudder cable this time - much easier - but still an pain in the ... fingers. Expensive spring. Is anyone using anything other than a Cessna spring on their rudders?
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
wingnut

Re: Broken Rudder Return Spring - Again

Post by wingnut »

Robert,
Without doing a search to find out when your other spring broke, how long has it been since your spring broke "again"?
When you push the rudder pedals down, so the rudder reaches it's travel stop, what is the measurement/distance between the pedal and firewall?
Are the rudder travel stop bolts adjusted to spec? (This should not be an issue, because if rudder travel is excessive, it will usually contact the elevator, but after a half century and possible reskin(s) of surfaces, it would be good to check out)
The spring has a certain way it needs to be installed. Make sure that when you have to "twist" it to get the hook end thru the hole(s), that it's final/end installation is not twisted. The spring "clocking" from end-to-end, should be the same installed as it is out of the package. It's easy to rotate it 180 or even 360 while your fighting it up in that hole :lol: .
Also, you should not re-form (bend) the ends of the spring, to make it easier to install. Not good for springs of any type/application.
Food for thought
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Robert Eilers

Re: Broken Rudder Return Spring - Again

Post by Robert Eilers »

Thanks wingnut. The spring first broke in 2005 - so it has been seven years between breaks. I will get out and do the measurign you suggest. My 170, like many it seems, wants to fly left wing a little low in cruise. I have adjusted the rudder trim tab to compensate - but, it must result in constant pressure on that return spring.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"