Refurbishing Wheels

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Refurbishing Wheels

Post by Robert Eilers »

I will be changing tires here soon and want to refurbish the wheels while I'm at it. What is the recommended method of removing the old paint? A friend suggested bead blasting the wheels, but I'm not so sure that is a good idea.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
GAHorn

Re: Refurbishing Wheels

Post by GAHorn »

Paint stripper is commonly used, but bead blasting, if carefully done so as to not move metal and care taken in the areas of bolt holes and bearing boss areas, should not be a problem. Inspect closely for cracks and elongated bolt holes while they're bare.

Paint them with lacquer and they'll be easy to strip/inspect in the future. Heavy enamels may hide cracks which could be missed during tire-changes and pre-flights.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

To add to George's suggestion, if you do bead blast, use the least amount of air pressure required to remove the paint. Bead blasting also hides cracks. I have found that if you have a way submerging the wheel half in MEK, or Acetone, or even mineral spirits, overnight, it softens the paint and takes a lot less effort for the beads to do the work.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
blakelewis

Post by blakelewis »

Well I tried to attach the file but it is too large (1MB limit) So http://web.missouri.edu/~bclzz4/clevela ... kes_mm.pdf is a link to it.
Page 327 is the refinishing procedure. I found the Magnesium treatment chemical online but 10lbs @$45/lb is the mimimum size.
I have some PreKote which Boeing uses on Magnesium and Aluminum. I am going to use that process. http://www.pantheonchemical.com/prekote-process.aspx and then epoxy paint.
Blake
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with the paint stripper.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I found the Cleveland list of recommended strippers:
Spray or brush on application: Turco Products, Water Based Environmentally Advantaged Paint remover P/N T-6813 or P/N T-6840S

Tank type stripping: Turco Products, Diphase Hot Tank Paint Remover P/N T-5668

(The first listed is likely more labor intensive since it's environmentally sound. The old original paint strippers contained methylene-chloride which has become a bad name, but is a fast, effective paint stripper. I've seen it in various auto parts houses under names like "RustOleum Aircraft Stripper" in 18 oz aerosol cans. AutoZone carries it under their PN 248872 . It is also
claimed to be "water cleanup" soluble.)
Paint Stripper.jpg
Paint Stripper.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 14995 times
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Yeh, I like that brand George. You'll notice the can doesn't say "Aircraft Paint Remover". It says "Aircraft Remover". I've had a few aircraft over the years I thought about trying it on :lol:
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
170C

Post by 170C »

Just stripped my tailwheel on Thursday X$!*^&($! Turned into a big job. Started out with two different containers of Kleen Strip which took the first coat off fairly well, but the second one didn't do as well. Then tried some "official" aircraft paint stripper (same brand) and it would't touch the original paint so I primed it and painted it on Friday. Tough to do well without access to good water pressure and a drain that gets rid of the old paint & stripper. Just my luck that on Friday at work I discovered we have a bead blast cabinet. That gets used the next time 8O
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

170C wrote:Just my luck that on Friday at work I discovered we have a bead blast cabinet. That gets used the next time 8O
Really, you just discovered it Frank? I usually am scanning the entire operation for any and all tools or materials that I may (with permission) use to my benefit during the interview process. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Alwine00775

Post by Alwine00775 »

methylene-chloride ?

How could it be bad ? MC based adhesives were the greatest thing ever. It could be 100f in the shop or 20f and that
stuff would always go off in the same amouint of time.
Until the sales rep told us all about the nervous system damage and then there was that thing about making people steril .... hmm maybe thats why it took 5 years to have a child with my wife , or maybe it was that vasectomy. :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Or maybe you just needed the practice? :twisted: :lol:
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Or maybe the milk man managed to "hold out" for a few years
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

OK guys, please let's stay with the topic. We have women 170 owners and members of the association who also read the posts.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.