new chapter in the leading edge landing light

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dpowell

new chapter in the leading edge landing light

Post by dpowell »

I did buy and have received the stc for leading edge landing light. I have found an issue and need some input and guidance on how to handle this problem. It seems the blueprints are for 140/120 cessna. Ribs are not the same as a 170. stc shows a side-by-side double light installation to be installed between the #9 and #10 rib. the cutout for the light assb. is 12" , but there is only about 8.5" to 9" between nose ribs. stc owner said that he has never installed one and has no idea what to do. Do you (a) remove a nose rib and install as per drawing or (b)make a smaller opening and go between nose ribs with just one light? :?:
ravenaviation

Re: new chapter in the leading edge landing light

Post by ravenaviation »

What is the number of that STC?
John
LaPorte, TX (T41)
N2363D, Cessna 170B
minton

Post by minton »

I you are talking straight C-170 disreguard everything that follows : :D :D

(IF) you are talking C-170B and have a light installed in the other wing? Locate it in the same location (Wing Station) in the oposite wing. If you don't, it's a trip to the airport and measure another plane. C-170B through C-185 should do. I only mention those models since those are the only ones I have used for examples. The light assy. must be located in that specific location due to the lens profile being fit to that wing station. The entire light assy. is located between nose ribs.

OBTW: STC's that don't address your specific aircraft make and model have to be treated as examples of "approved Data" not necessarily good for your sign off purposes. Some A/I's and some PMI's see this first or second wing light issue as a minor alteration thus a log book sign off referencing the Cessna equipement list, IPC and the like.. But you must comply with the IPC, Cessna service manual, wiring diagrams and wire sizing, switch loading, circuit breakers, ETC. for that approach. The other issue is sucking your alternator and battery down if it's a second light assy.. A load calculation (Total and circuit) is in order either way!!

A look at the new LED lights might solve the electrical load issues. But not the pocket book issues :lol: :lol:

Good luck!! :D :D
dpowell

Post by dpowell »

Yep , it is a '48 170. STC # is SA1-647. According to the stc owner I was given the correct print for a 170 even though it says 140/120.
minton

Post by minton »

I've seen that print. Hope it all goes well for you. I can't give any advice on that as I've never laid hands on that model..
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

I have a 337 for the the landing and taxi light change for my '48 dated January 1965. The lights are a Super Cub kit. The #6 rib from the outboard end was moved 3 inches inboard to make room for the kit. The part #'s may not be revelent, but here they are.

14502 landing light assembly
12529-3 plate
12527-3 plate
14786-1 strip
12527-2 plate
12761-2 cover
14785-3 window
12298-12 wiring harness assembly

Hope this helps.

Larry
dpowell

Post by dpowell »

Thanks. Every little bit helps :wink:
dpowell

Post by dpowell »

Finally solved the problem by rewinding both motors for the original retractable lights and they work GREAT!! Unfortunately I wasted money and time on the stc. :)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

dpowell wrote:Finally solved the problem by rewinding both motors for the original retractable lights and they work GREAT!! Unfortunately I wasted money and time on the stc. :)
So how about a contact info on whoever repaired your motors...and what did that cost?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
54170b

Post by 54170b »

Does anybody have landing lights on both sides of there 170B?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Suggestion ---- When making the leading edge cut out for installing the right wing landing light, try to take it out in a single largest piece so that the piece can be used to make a form for shaping a hot piece of plexiglas for the lens.
BL
falco

Post by falco »

or form the plexiglass on the wing before you cut. Make it a little overisze and trim. Form a couple of them, cheap stuff.
54170b

Post by 54170b »

If I did I would just have to get another part from sportsman.
dpowell

Post by dpowell »

I had several years electronic experience in the military. Rewound them myself under the watchful eye of my IA. Total cost , about $30.00 for the proper magnet wire, and about 4 hrs labor. Some cleaning,lubricating and adjusting and they were working like new. A local electric motor shop said " If we can even do it, I'd have to charge 1000.00 each. I laughed and walked out. :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

dpowell wrote:I had several years electronic experience in the military. Rewound them myself under the watchful eye of my IA. Total cost , about $30.00 for the proper magnet wire, and about 4 hrs labor. Some cleaning,lubricating and adjusting and they were working like new. A local electric motor shop said " If we can even do it, I'd have to charge 1000.00 each. I laughed and walked out. :D
Can you take pictures and write an article?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)