How to install a Baggage Door?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

minton

Re: How to install a Baggage Door?

Post by minton »

falco wrote:had mine in for 11 years and about 900 hours. done per Harry's STC. No evidence of any structural issues.
I'm not specifically spotlighting Harrys there are other STC's out there with similar issues. But a few questions for you. Any off airport operations? What about floats?? Any of the current STC mods would probably do just fine under normal conditions as many others have stated. It's when you stress the mods that the weaknesses show up. :( even the properly installed ones (factory) have had costly damage done due to hard landings, tail strikes, etc. so play that theme foward to a logical conclusion and It becomes clear to me anyway that a weakened area has a better chance of a failure. :idea:

Again, just my humble opinion.

In reference to this thread I am pursueing a conversation with the FAA and Cessna engineers on why the omissions in the early 172/175 and 180 parts books in regard to baggage doors. Puzzling to me that it could escape so many eyes. Wish me luck! l'll keep you posted on my progress.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Omissions, errors, and oversights in the Parts Catalogs are rampant (and uncorrected) for the early airplanes because they were unapproved documents. They are not for the purpose of making structural repairs or assembly-operations. They are purely for ordering parts.
And that is another good reason not to take anything you see in them as gospel as to whether or not a doubler is really there or not... or even necessary. They are not engineering blueprints. They are not manuals. They are catalogs.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
falco

Post by falco »

minton wrote:
falco wrote:had mine in for 11 years and about 900 hours. done per Harry's STC. No evidence of any structural issues.
I'm not specifically spotlighting Harrys there are other STC's out there with similar issues. But a few questions for you. Any off airport operations? What about floats?? Any of the current STC mods would probably do just fine under normal conditions as many others have stated. It's when you stress the mods that the weaknesses show up. :( even the properly installed ones (factory) have had costly damage done due to hard landings, tail strikes, etc. so play that theme foward to a logical conclusion and It becomes clear to me anyway that a weakened area has a better chance of a failure. :idea:

Again, just my humble opinion.

In reference to this thread I am pursueing a conversation with the FAA and Cessna engineers on why the omissions in the early 172/175 and 180 parts books in regard to baggage doors. Puzzling to me that it could escape so many eyes. Wish me luck! l'll keep you posted on my progress.

Off airport, yes; floats, no. Floats have never been in my plans for this airplane.
Also, I do pretty well at avoiding hard landings. Cant seem to avoid the tailstrike though. It eventually hits no matter what I do. ;-)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

All this talk of baggage doors is making me want one again.
minton

Post by minton »

Well, after much searching the correct part number for sta. 90 bulkhead assy. WITH BAGGAGE DOOR has been verified as 0512113-9 this includes the half bulkhead reinforment that I have been mentioning in previous posts. This is probably but not verified as the same as 074211-1 or a close match which is used in later float plane kit installations. NON door bulkhead p/n is 0512113.

I am in the process of verifying with Cessna Corp. and my PMI as to the inclusion of said bulkhead in any after market baggage door kits. In my opinion, if not, ACO's and DER engineers could and should reveiw their STC's for any potential need for updates/revisions to their kits.

At some point down the road I expect the FAA will issue something on the subject.

Now, as per my PMI, you can "Upgrade" your STC by the installation of said bulkhead being within the same catagory of airframe and it only requires a logbook sign off referencing the STC and IPC part number. The down side? Finding referenced bulkhead as a used part. This is where I have suggested to persons contemplating that potential installation by STC and searching for parts, insist on buying the sta. 90 bulkhead assy. with the other baggage door parts when they are removed from salvaged birds as it would be the -9 part. If you use that appoach then you don't need to order one from Cessna as a Made to Order (MTO) part costing big bucks or looking elsewhere such as salvge yards, or C-180's with float kits.

As for you that have installations without, well it's you and your AI's call I guess. :?:

As an asside if you do install this referenced bulkhead you eliminate two C-170 float kit parts (0541132 & 0541132-1) as they are now not needed!

Fly safe :D

Just my humble, but informed opinion! :D
KG

Post by KG »

minton wrote:Well, after much searching the correct part number for sta. 90 bulkhead assy. WITH BAGGAGE DOOR has been verified as 0512113-9 this includes the half bulkhead reinforment that I have been mentioning in previous posts. This is probably but not verified as the same as 074211-1 or a close match which is used in later float plane kit installations. NON door bulkhead p/n is 0512113.
Hi John,

I'm within days of looking at a baggage door in a salvage 172. I finally located the owner and hope to get with him this week. Can I assume that a 172 with a factory baggage door also contains this -9 bulkhead?

Without getting into the question of whether it is required or not, if I can negotiate its purchase at the same time as the door I think it would be worthwhile to have it.

Thanks,
Keith
53 170B
minton

Post by minton »

Keith,

I would first ask 'What year model" are you looking at for the salvaged parts? I have been referencing p/n's / early model 172-175 years models (Pre 63). I would reference the 1963 parts book pg.74, fig. 27A paying attention to the shape of the fuselage at sta. 90 to confirm before your purchase. The more or less round shape is what you are looking for not the later modern shape just to make darn sure you get the doubler shape you need or better jusy buy the whole bulkhead with doubler attached.

You will need to pull up the aft flooring, remove the control cables and possibly battery cabling to install the doubler.

Hope this info. helps you.

John
Last edited by minton on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Is anyone aware of any 170 with a baggage door ever having issues in this area??
KG

Post by KG »

I don't know the year of the 172 but it has a rear window so I'm sure it is post '63. I'll take a look at it this week and if I can buy the whole bulkhead at the right price I will. Thanks, Keith
53 170B
minton

Post by minton »

bagarre wrote:Is anyone aware of any 170 with a baggage door ever having issues in this area??
I would just chime in with this insight. My last plane was a '56 C-180 with a float kit. I bought it post hard water landing sliding up onto the shore. As I inspected the airframe, there it was, crushed sta. 90 in the baggage door area and ajoining belly skins. Now that was with a float kit (sta. 90 doulber), without it damage could have been much worse. Some months latter and many new costly parts it flew again and I made many a water landing, some softer than others and no new deformations. So that said, I guess you could need it when you need it. You don't when you don't. I just go for safety and to lessen my concerns over damaging my 5 yr $$$$$ project :!: :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It took me a long time studying the bag door mods out there before I was convinced of the soundness of this mod. I consulted with Harry Dellicker, Cleo Bickford, John D (who had his own method, but one I did not care for as it used a huge external scab-patch), and the final conversation was with Dee Howard engineering in SAT. I was finally convinced it was OK to install the door.

The only illustration I could find of the sta 90 doubler which minton discusses is this one from a '62 and Prior 172 IPC. As he pointed out, it is not identified...only illustrated. The bag door hinge wraps around it and attaches to the fwd side of the bulkhead. Why it would be necessary to strengthen that bulkhead on the bottom/belly...when the door is not attached in that area at all...does not stress that area... I cannot imagine how it does anything other than perhaps make assembly-line pre-assembly more convenient, because the tailcone from that point aft can be pre-assembled and then attached to that bulkhead.... but maybe I'm missing something. If so, I'll be in good company with all the bag door add-ons that don't use that doubler. I've never seen a NON-crashed airplane that was hurt in that area after the mod. (And I'd be more convinced the doubler was necessary if a crashed airplane had a sta 90 bulkhead that was NOT crushed.... but the surrounding area was.) I've never seen an accident report or heard of any in flight failures or cracking in that area post-mod. If anyone knows of any such reports, we'd be interested in the details so we can lay this to rest.
Sta 90 bulkhead doubler.JPG
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
minton

Post by minton »

Gee, You, (Cessna) engineers a reinforcement so as not to fail and wala no failures! Am I missing something? At any rate we all have expressed our points of view by now. I personally like their approach.

Did'nt get to finish my thoughts.

I think aircraft are engineered to a 150% design failure or deformation rate somewhere around there maybe more so many design approaches can attain the same result. I wold think the STC'd ones have that engineered in somehow. :D .
Last edited by minton on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
54170b

Post by 54170b »

Easy do it yourself mod. I installed mine via 337 and had to figure it out. Even so it wasn't too bad.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 8.18.12 PM.png
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

54170b wrote:Easy do it yourself mod. I installed mine via 337 and had to figure it out. Even so it wasn't too bad.
HOLEY-MOLEY! LOOK OUT! THIS changes EVERYTHING!!

A RED door on a GREEN airplane! Does it tend to TURN RIGHT?

Aren't you glad you could find that RED door to strengthen that shade-tree'd installation! :lol:

(So... what did you do with finish when you completed the project?....or is it still in-progress?)

Break=====
======================================================
minton wrote:Gee, You, (Cessna) engineers a reinforcement so as not to fail and wala no failures! Am I missing something? ....
Perhaps. There have also been no failures without that doubler. It has yet to be established the doubler was specifically to reinforce a door installation as opposed to an assembly-operation for fuselages with doors.
minton wrote:...Did'nt get to finish my thoughts.

I think aircraft are engineered to a 150% design failure or deformation rate somewhere around there maybe more so many design approaches can attain the same result. I wold think the STC'd ones have that engineered in somehow. :D .
As would the one in Anacortes just illustrated if it incorporated the door-frame. Think of it as an inspection hole with a convenient cover. The hole is reinforced by the door-frame, which commutes all the torsion/tension/compression loads to the surrounding structure. No weakening of the fuselage occurs with a hole in the side which is surrounded by that frame because the load pathways are still there....in fact it is strengthened. A tubular steel fuselage is constructed entirely of trusses....little or no strength is derived from the fabric covering. But it's heavy, and that's the beauty of monocoque.
A monocoque fuselage is strong because its skin is the outer pathway for all stresses. But dent or damage that skin and with no underlying structure, the monocoque has lost it's strength. With the doorframe, the fuselage has underlying structure to pass-along any stresses the skin where that hole is would have. (At least, that's how Cleo put it.)

The hole created when a bag door is installed is not in the belly (where that doubler is) but is in the side.
It seems to me that if we cut a hole in the belly (like for a camera hole) the doubler of sta 90 would make perfect sense (or if the fwd portion of the fuselage known as the cabin area were constructed seperately to be later mated on an assembly-line with a tailcone unit...that sta 90 bulkhead would be subject to damage until mated...and might need a doubler.

The problem with communications with Cessna these days is the "old, experience" up there is retired and gone. The 1986 shutdown period created a loss-of-continuity in the single-engine line, and the line was started back up in Independence with all new help. They went thru all sorts fo teething troubles making the same airplanes as previously...as if they'd never done it before. (Remember when they couldn't figure out why new C-206 flaps were cracking? They solved it when they reinvented the same solution they did back in 1964. But they'd lost the notes.)
Perfect examples are:
1- When I called for a guest-speaker for the Opening Dinner of the 2007 TIC170A convention, the lady at Cessna listened to my desire for one of the old-timers who might have stories about the factory while they constructed our 170s, then she transferred me to the manager of the single-engine assembly line over in Independence. HE transferred me to production manager, and HE suggested that if I wanted a knowlegeable speaker for a 170 group I should call a guy down in Texas named George Horn and offered to find his contact info for me. 8O
2- When I rec'ed a call from an engineer at Cessna who claimed to be THE fuel-systems engineer for the single-engine line, and was working on the new Columbia, ...he was calling me to ask for an explanation as to WHY the straight-170 (with a fuel pump) needed a check-valve in what appeared to bypass the pump....and WHERE could he obtain such. 8O
(He admitted that much documentation of earlier production airplanes, including the 170 line, had been deliberately destroyed under instructions from the legal department, in an effort to rid themselves of any liability of ongoing support. The point I'm making is, that common sense and reviews by locally obtained engineering surveys are more likely than Cessna in coming up with answers on matters such as we've been discussing in this thread. )
3-When a three-way partnership in a straight-170 called to get information on where they could get the "STC" for removing the pump in their ragwing. They'd been flying it without a pump for 3 years and realized they had no documentation for no pump. When I suggested they were lucky to be based in OKC and not have been caught in a knowlegeable ramp-check...it came to be revealed the 3 partners WERE FAA. 8O

When we met Mort Brown (Cessna Chief Production Test Pilot, Ret'd) at Branson, MO and spent considerable time with him asking questions about this airplane, he can be forgiven for memory-lapses, as he was 98 years old. But he told me personally that all the old experience was gone up there and it was likely much detail is lost to history about these airplanes.

I'm only sayin'.... even when airplanes are undergoing original design, engineers may differ in opinons as to the necessity of some solutions. It's likely that a contemporary review of structures is just as valid as anything they did back in the 1950's, maybe more so, and an STC'd modification such as the bag door installation is not less-engineered or less safe simply because Cessna didn't do it.

(I realize that bluEldr just nodded-off so I'll stop now.) :lol:
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
You must be clairvoyant!

P,S. The insructions that I used on my baggage door installation started with "Go to the closest Ace or True Value hardware and buy a good quality double-bitted axe to facilitate making the opening in the left side of the fuselage somewhere behind the door".
BL