170's in Atchison Kansas

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sj

170's in Atchison Kansas

Post by sj »

Saw some NICE 170's at Atchison KS today at the Antique Fly In. Met a few of them, all NICE folks!

Pictures Here!
http://www.c170.com/gallery/view_album. ... me=album10

sj
1952 170B
Steve Johnson
Lake Waukomis, MO
Email: Steve (at) Supercub (dot) Org
flyguy

Old grey clouds

Post by flyguy »

SJ, Boy did your photos of the "UN" fly-in at old K-59 bring back the memories! I based there for lots of years before transiting to the sunny (most of the time!) south. I had the western most hanger on the north facing row. No way to keep warm in the winter and no breeze in the summer! Did Dennis bring out his beauty? I didn't see it in the photos. Did you go their POT LUCK?

I have many memories of the AAA fly-ins there. Some hilarious,some scarey and some of disaster and tragedy too. I won the spot landing contests about three years in a row and they wouldn't let me enter the fourth year! Some rich dude had a shop rebuild a rare Lincoln biplane for him. A beautiful sunny Saturday morning with very little wind he broughtit, one of the only two flying Lincolns left in the world, to Atchison. He touchd down at the south end of the runway then proceeded to experience PIO and wrecked it right there in front of the main crowd!
Another year, on an early Sunday afternoon, a thunderstorm roared through and left several planes with dents and scratches. One Swift pilot thought it best if he tried to get airborne before the txstm hit but lost control during his takeoff roll and put his plane over on it's nose.

Other years, I carried the Ft. Leavenworth Jump Team for their performances . You know how these little fly-ins always have their "NO RADIO" attendees. I notified FSS that I would be releasing jumpers at such and such a time they responded with "Be aware of NORDO traffic. OK! Well my jumpers had just exited the plane when the fellow monitoring the unicom advised me that there were a couple of old Airknokers just south of the field and were apparently coming in to land. I advised "MY JUMPERS are ALREADY AWAY"! The team leader, Stuart, was a real pro. I felt I needed to alert them some way so I dove down to the level where they were to go under canopy and wagged my wings like crazy. Stu percieved something was amiss so he and the team steered away from the airport and landed at the high school stadium about a half mile from the airport! AHH the delights of little country fly-ins.

Thanks for the trip down meory lane, Steve OLE GAR