Flap Cable Length/Installation

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

BVRAIR

Flap Cable Length/Installation

Post by BVRAIR »

I'm installing flap cables in my 55B. Had new stainless cables made locally. When I bought my 170 as a project the previous owner had pulled all cables and did not indentified them. It is a jig saw puzzle trying to install them because of four different lengths. Has anyone identified each cable by part number in manual and associated length (inches). Any help would be appreciated. Hope to fly next couple of weeks after a 5 year restoration.

Gary
Gary Moore
bvrairpilot
N3436D
1955 C170B (5th 170B I've owned)
180 LYC, Ser Nbr 26979
Anch. Ak
mit

Re: Flap Cable Length/Installation

Post by mit »

Tim
minton

Post by minton »

How about some interest here. Mc Farceland has no answers. IQ 3's on the phone. Can't tell me no-one has delt with this in the club???
mit

Post by mit »

I swear I have seen the lengths given some where! I just can't remember where! Old age sucks!
Tim
BVRAIR

Post by BVRAIR »

Tim, thanks for the response.
Gary Moore
bvrairpilot
N3436D
1955 C170B (5th 170B I've owned)
180 LYC, Ser Nbr 26979
Anch. Ak
minton

Post by minton »

Well after much head scratching heres the low down on flap cables (one piece) vs/ two piece which I will not comment on as we did'nt tackle them.

You can't rely on the parts book for accurate drawings on this subject so be extra careful when you remove any pieces and label them on the spot so you don't forget or mix them up.

Ref. C-170B parts book pg 68 (Flap control system)

As stated in the parts manual: There are four flap cable part numbers. Two for Direct (Down) and two for Retract (Up). The part dash numbers can be found on the Forked cable ends (NAS 1435K-( ) ). Sometimes the numbers are very faint and require cleaning with MEK and use of a magnifying glass to see them clearly. The cable lenths do not correspond to the part dash numbers.

-17 is #3 in line ( RH Direct)
-18 is (shortest) in line (RH Retract)
-19 is #4 (longest) in line (LH retract)
-20 is #2 in line (LH Direct)

AN163-16S (short) and AN163-16L (Long) are the threaded turnbarrel forked ends.

The lower or (Retract) cables require the -16L (Long) and the upper Direct cables (Extend) require the -16S (short).

All four cables require the -S or (Short) turn barrels.

Pay close attention to how all of the cable pulleys are installed from under the floor out to the flap bellcranks as they require spacer bushings at different stations and differ from for and aft including bushing lengths. Don't forget to install the cotter pins before you close up!

Hold on to the old cables to match them up to the new ones as I highly doubt the new ones are etched with part numbers.

We hope (Gary and I) this help those who come after us and minimizes the bloody knuckles and (Blue) language.

Heaven help you if you have to change them with the floorboards in place as we did!

John
sethkirk

Post by sethkirk »

Hi everybody,
We are finally installing the flap cables for sn 26619 55' B and we are having a difficult time finding the correct part numbers. We have a new set from McFarline, but were not sure if we have the correct set (4). We do not have the old cables to compare for the new ones. Anyone have any guidance on this?
Thanks,
Seth.Kirkpatrick@ABCSupply.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

If you bought the complete set from McFarland, you probably have all you need. If you bought just a few cables then you can have a set that has the either the adjustment turnbuckles below the floor or in the sidewalls and a possible mix-up. It doesn't matter what setup you use as long as its a complete compatible set. Maybe you could elaborate on your issue with p/n's
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Seth, I happen to have the old flap cables for my 55 sn 26509 I don't know about the part numbers but I changed out all the cables at the same time. they were from McFarland. I can look in the hanger for them if you need them. Seems the change out was quite simple at the time. The splice is at the door post as I recall just having put my wings back on 2 weeks ago.
Bill
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Don't have the parts book in front of me. There are two types of flap cables one is a one piece from a turn buckle under the floor behind the fuel selector to the bell crank in the wing. the other is a two piece cable with a second turn buckle in the door post. One style used before ser # xxxxxxxx and the other after that ser number.
So you need to know which type cable you have to start and then go from there.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Cables for serial 20267 to 27049 had turnbuckles at there beginning starting 27050 and after the turnbuckles were moved to the middle which but them in the bulkhead just rear of the door.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

And if you like pretty hands, you might want to go for the easy to get to buckles even if you have an earlier"B" if you're changing out the set.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
sethkirk

Post by sethkirk »

Thanks to all of you that responded. After further review we do indeed have the correct cables from McFarlane. We had a few questions about them as depected in the parts manual, but our IA got back to us and reassured us that we have the correct set. Photos of the project to come soon. Thanks Guys for taking the time to respond. 26619 should fly in less than 3 months after a very very very long restoration Longer than I have been on this great planet to be exact. Thanks again gang!!! Seth