Emergency Repair Kit - what should you bring?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

2723D

Emergency Repair Kit - what should you bring?

Post by 2723D »

I'm looking for ideas for an emergency repair kit for the 170 for flying in Alaska. I have some ideas of general things to bring, duct tape of course, and all the normal things that are listed under survival kits. But I'm looking for any practical advice on which tools (or equipment) might be the most helpful, especially for changing a tire on a gravel bar, and similar mishaps like that which might leave you stranded (unless you have the tools!). Do people carry extra spark plugs, or ? Has anyone been in a situation off airport and had some item in the plane which helped them out of a tight spot? I'm trying to put together a kit without bringing the kitchen sink, and also hoping to tailor it to the 170. Thanks in advance for any ideas you folks have.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

A couple things that I like to carry are a spare tailwheel tire & tube,as well as a spare 800 x 6 main tire tube. I keep them tie-wrapped to the bulkhead immediately aft of the baggage compartment. You can usually borrow some tools at an airport if some pilots are around,but you quite often won't find these replacements available for love or money. Your old,replaced tires & tubes are great for spares.
I'm not an Alaska pilot and I don't do much off-airport operating,but I feel better carrying these spares onboard,along with a tire pump and a few tools.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep, after I lost a tailwheel tube on a trip, I started carrying a spare tailwheel tire/tube and cheap, lightweight air pump. There I was at an airshow, blocking the main runway because of a flat tailwheel. It took all day to find a shop who could fix me up. 600 X 6 mains are no problem, but have you ever tried asking around a strange airport if anyone has a tailwheel tire and tube?
(WalMart sells a small foot-operated pump for less than $5. Don't forget to also carry around a valve-stem extender. This is one of those cheap plastic tubes that screw onto the end of the valve-stem to extend it past a hub cap on an automobile. On a Scott tailwheel, it allows you to easily add air to that short valve-stem. Remove it and carry it in the glove box after airing up the tire. It won't clear the tailwheel fork during wheel rotation.)
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Some more ideas:

I carry;

Spare spark plug
Spare rudder return spring (ever had one of these
break? They're "fun" to replace....).

Something I've been meaning to get & carry;

Crash axe

Looking forward to other ideas from folks (should
benefit us all....).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

In addition to the above:

Tools needed to do the rope trick
Multi tool
Ax
Spark Plug
Safety Wire & Pliers
Jack Pad made from Aluminum Angle

Is what I carry in a canvas bag rolled up and stored inside the bottom of the rear seat.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
2723D

Post by 2723D »

I agree with the spare tubes, I wasn't sure if you could get away with a tube repair kit or not (in a pinch).. but the one time I had a flat with the tail wheel the tube totally blew out and was not remotely repairable. I didn't have to worry about it because I was at Merrill field, but if I had been up at coldfoot or some other landing strip in the middle of nowhere... well it could have been interesting. I like the idea of tying spare tubes to the frame someplace, out of sight, but always with you. In addition to a multi-tool, are there any other tools which might make life a lot easier to replace a tube, or any other part?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I bought the small, red (for emergency), duffle-bag from TIC170A and keep all my emer. supplies in it crammed beneath/behind the rear seat. Here's what's inside.
1. tailwheel tire/tube
2. foot-operated air pump.
3. tire gauge
4. tube patch-kit
5. socket set (this is very complete but >$5 from Walmart in a flat plastic case)
6. 8" adjustable wrench
6a. set of 3 double-ended wrenches (6 sizes 3/8-3/4)
6b. set of two pliers, one channel-lock, one needle-nose with wire cutter (doubles as safety-wire pliers)
6c. Zip-lok bag of assortment of AN bolts/nuts, PK/MS screws. not a lot, only a few.
7. multi-tip screwdriver
8. small 24" coil of .032 safety wire
9. small 24" coil of 14 ga. aircraft elect. wire
10. roll of electrical tape
11. duct tape
12. space blanket (2)
13. hatchet (doubles as hammer/mallet for tie-down stakes)
14. 50' of 3/8 twisted nylon rope
15. bottled water (4@10oz.)
16. MRE's (4) (Meals, Ready to Eat, available from Surplus stores)
17. First Aid Kit (which includes long, H.D. tweezers, scissors, pick, Boy Scout metal-mirror, anti-biotic, analgesic, scalpel, bandages, water-purification, antibiotic hand-soap, insect repellent).
18. kitchen matches in waterproof container (plastic film canister will also work)
19. Military mess kit (makes a small, flat storage container for many of the above small items, plus some salt/pepper/catsup/hot-sauce/mustard/mayo/soy-sauce from the local fast-food chain kept in a ziplok, and can be used for emer. cooking/water-boiling.)
20. Whistle and cigarette-pack size of 5 self-launching marine flares (each about like a short felt-tip marker with a 1000' altitude range) These latter also will light even damp fire-start materials. (So will any left-over aircraft fuel, and the engine oil and spare tire will make very visible fire-smoke.)
21. Cheap, hooded rain-ponchos (2) in pocket-sized pkg.

The above item(s) weighs 22.5 lbs. I don't carry this bag with me on local out-and-back trips, ...only on long cross-country's.

Also, beneath the pax-side rear seat (within reach from the pilot's seat) I carry a new roll of paper towels and 2 qts of engine oil, portable Nav/Com (mine is a KX99), multi-tool, spare flashlight (I have one of the palm-sized rechargeables plugged into my cigar lighter for general and nav. use) with these small items stored within a fanny pack (useful for hiking) along with two of the cigarette-pkg sized family-band walkie-talkie radios. (useful at fly-ins.), and spare batteries. These items weigh an addt'l 7 lbs.

My glove box has 1 ea. spare nav lamp bulb (wingtip/tail), spare interior lamp bulb. And my back seat has 2 small pillows and a liberated airline blanket or two.

When flying in the rugged areas, I also carry a short-barreled cheap ($79 new, but mine is a $35 used Sears/Iver Johnson) shotgun beneath the rear seat. It is a single-shot, barrel sawed to 18 1/4" (the extra 1/4" is in case the cops have a short measuring tape) along with a butt-stock, spare-ammo storage sock containing a couple each 12 ga. slugs, buckshot, birdshot. (I once hid it beneath the sand behind an old out-bldg, prior to a short hop across the border. I dug it up when I got back, cleaned it, and it's still doing fine. It's so cheap, no one even tries to steal it, and even if they did I won't have lost much.) The aircraft compass can be removed for travel using sectional charts, if necessary. (Make certain to leave a note in the window for rescuers indicating your plans and direction of travel if you depart the scene. You do have paper and pencil in your glove box, don't you?)

An umbrella-tent and my tie-down stakes are all that's necessary to add when deliberately camping.

This list looks big, but it only appears that way. It only takes up space that goes unused in my plane anyway, and although I've never needed to use the stuff, I've loaned some of it out from time to time. (Perhaps those who are prepared don't ever suffer the problems? At least not the ones they prepared for. :roll: ) The guys up in Canada/Alaska are probably much better prepared to deal with the realities of being forced down. That's not really my goal with this kit. My goal is to be comfortably reassured when I suffer a minor mechanical failure on a trip, and when a pax/family member says "Honey...do we have any Tylenol?" (etc.) It makes for a much happier travelling companion who's much more willing to go to the far-out places. :P
Last edited by GAHorn on Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

By the way, for those of you without cell phones (and especially for those of you who do)....
Remember that cell phones work even in most wilderness areas from high terrain. If you don't regularly carry your cell phone with you (or don't have one) then keep in mind that even phones with discontinued service will work on 911.
Ask your friends/relatives for their old phones that they no longer use, and carry one in your airplane/car/etc with a cigar-lighter supply cord. A break-down or stranding somewhere might make it invaluable to you. At least two airplane crashes that I have personal knowlege of received immediate attention because a cell phone was onboard. In one case, the victim had a broken back, and was unknown to be off flying somewhere in the mountains. But despite his inability to help himself and his two injured companion, ...he was able to make a 911 call from a Colorado mountain-top crash-scene that got a rescue team to them in 4 hours.
mit

Re: Emergency Repair Kit - what should you bring?

Post by mit »

2723D wrote:I'm looking for ideas for an emergency repair kit for the 170 for flying in Alaska. I have some ideas of general things to bring, duct tape of course, and all the normal things that are listed under survival kits. But I'm looking for any practical advice on which tools (or equipment) might be the most helpful, especially for changing a tire on a gravel bar, and similar mishaps like that which might leave you stranded (unless you have the tools!). Do people carry extra spark plugs, or ? Has anyone been in a situation off airport and had some item in the plane which helped them out of a tight spot? I'm trying to put together a kit without bringing the kitchen sink, and also hoping to tailor it to the 170. Thanks in advance for any ideas you folks have.
Bug spray, head net, leatherman and a water filter, cell phone won't do you much good unless your on the highway system. tail wheel tube? If you need one here you need a tire too just fly it out and change it and the wheel. ask for the freq's for the 135 outfits in the area.
Tim
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Someone, I think it might have been in these forums, once said that all you need is two items. A roll of ducktape and a can of WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't use the Ducktape. If it doesn't move and should use the WD40. I thought that was great.

I always carry a complete tailwheel assembly (wheel and tire mounted) except on short local flights. Wouldn't you know I went down to the Seattle area from the Island last Summer without it and that's the first time I needed it. Go figure. Fortunately I got rescued by a friend from the airport we used to live on 8 miles from Crest where I was stuck at the fuel island. Only two hours lost. Now I'm thinking of tieing it in the tail like Eric does.

Good kit George.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Something to consider putting in your First aid kit is some powered CAYENNE Pepper the hotter the better. Really good for cuts to stop bleeding and fast healing with no infection. Does not burn in a cut and will be absorbed by the body. Try it next time you cut yourself, just fill the cut and tape closed and overnight it will be closed up with no inflamation. Can be used internally for a pick me up, or internal bleeding, a boost to the heart, etc.
JDH

Post by JDH »

Alot of great information is being shared here. I started putting together my 2 cents list, but found out it would be a very long answer. I carry some kits always and add to that, other kits depending on season and where I fly to and if alone or in a flock or with passengers.
Let me just touch on a couple of things. Remember that emergencies (we all have different definitions, whether it means life threatening or getting airborne the same day you were forced down) and survival are not planned i/e: Gilligan's Island. That is why you should be prepared; like motorcycle riding: You dress for the fall, not for the ride...
The best way to get out of a jam fast is proper preparation, planning (route and alternates) and filing a flight plan or notification.
That said, the best idea I can think of on this subject is for you to take what you need from these great ideas and: Find someone near you that is experienced in the area you fly in; terrain, weather, etc. and flies the same type of missions and aircraft (low & slow vs high and fast). A well experienced bush pilot, a trapper or other self reliant, far from everything pilot-owner. Buy him lunch or a beer and pick his brain.
#2- Go for first aid and CPR recertification or training. Make sure your 1st aid kit is adequate and complete.
#3- Anything, parts or equipment, you decide to bring: Make certain you have the tools to remove and re-install and the knowledge and or competence on how to use it. If you bring spark plugs and wrenches and spare "do-mahickies", get your mechanic to show you how to do the task. If you buy a new tent, stove, saw, hatchet or other gadget, get it out of the wrap, try it at home in good light and make sure you can use this thing very well and in some cases, one handed or with your eyes closed. Think about the guy putting up a tent, new out of the box, for the first time, in the rain, in the dark with a mini van full of screaming kids; now picture the same guy trying to fill up the heater and light it, etc... Fun? I think not.
#4- As with any tool or equipment, if you carry a hand gun or rifle in your survival/emergency equipment, go to the range regularly and stay current and proficient with it. Shoot from different and unusual positions, both and either hand, 2 eyes, one eye, bad eye, bad hand, etc. Your life may depend on it.
And finally, any gear or equipment you can't get to is like runway behind you; useless. Some of the items you choose to carry has to be at your finger tip while piloting, others within reach from your seat and the rest easily accessible while stationary. So you will have to think of carrying some of it on you or strategically placed about the cabin.
I know this is all common sense and already observed by most, but I thought that it was worth repeating for safety's sake and if only helps one of us... JD
170C

Tool/Survival Items

Post by 170C »

I found these posts to be very interesting & informative. I know with all the stuff I carry that there are lots of things I would probably need in a "situation" that I wouldn't have on board. Kinda hard to decide what one should carry, but again some really good food for thought.

George, maybe all that "stuff" I am carrying around is why Ole Pokey is so slow!!!!!!!! Speaking of which, how do you get all that Snap On roll around tool chest in your "B" model? Hummm, maybe that is why Joe's "A" is faster. What do you think? (GRIN).
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I only carry all that stuff when I'm going on a real trip, not when just up and around. It all weighs only slightly more than 30 lbs., and takes up 10" X 12" X 26" in a soft-duffle bag, roughly what the typical camping umbrella tent does. Joe only thinks he's faster because "he's a legend in his own mind." (You've heard about that guy Bruce Bohannon, whose "tiger"-modified RV holds the time-to-climb absolute record? Joe holds the 170 time-to-descent record while IFR. If he'd get out there and look for a sponsor he might make some money off the deal. Maybe Draino or Liquid Plumber might sponsor him?) :wink:
David Laseter

Alaska Flying

Post by David Laseter »

Mosquito Head Net. If you go down on the Penisula without a Head Net you're going to die from blood loss anyway. Never leave home or camp without a sleeping bag. I have several friends carrying Sattlelite Phones these days, like Mit said, Cell Phones are'nt much use very far out.
If you leave your plane crashed, thieves will dismantle it.
I took a Survival Class "Learn to Return" that was good also. The one were they dump you in a swimming pool, trapped in a fuselage. And how to make Mukluks out of you're plane's interior.
I like the Double Action Rueger 454.