Control wheel(yoke)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Cessna_pilot

Control wheel(yoke)

Post by Cessna_pilot »

Hey guys, I was wondering if it's posable (and legal) to put later model control wheels on, as in from such as a 172 or something.

Thanks
Tom
Glenn

Re: Control wheel(yoke)

Post by Glenn »

Is there a special reason you would want to swap the yokes out? I'm really just curious because I like the look of the original yokes.
I must like the classics. All of my vehicles are older than I am.

Looking for a 1/3 partner in my '48 170. PM for details
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Tom the answer is that anything that you can successfully have approved, can be legally installed, including newer yokes. Yes newer style yokes have been installed in 170s i years past and many have been removed so what ever you do keep your old yokes for the next owner.

How hard getting the approval will be you won't know till you ask your local FSDO. I think this is probably a major alteration though others might not agree.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There are all kinds of ways to complicate your life by modifying airplanes.

If you do install later Cessna yokes, keep in mind that just because you found a cool-looking set somewhere that you must still ascertain their airworthiness.

Example: With what airframe did they originate? (Document this by serial number and tail number.) Why? Because SOME Cessna yokes have AD notes against them! (Might explain why they are for sale so cheap, Heh?)

Also... RECORD the change and the traceability information in your aircraft logs. Why? Because what if in the FUTURE an AD note should be applied to their original aircraft? (That AD will not likely mention the possibility that it should include YOUR airplane.)

Many "plastic" yokes are condemned by AD because of cracking. Our original ALL-METAL Cessna 170 yokes don't have that problem. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Cessna_pilot

Post by Cessna_pilot »

I was just curious, because I have see alot of 180's with the newer control wheels.

Thanks
Tom
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessna_pilot wrote:I was just curious, because I have see alot of 180's with the newer control wheels.

Thanks
Tom
The 180 group suffers from identity crisis. :roll:

They'd join the Bonanza Society except for the fact those doctors and lawyers won't have them. :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
3958v

Post by 3958v »

A friend of mine is the first and only owner of the first 185 sold. He actually had the control yoke break while landing. He then manufactured and got approval for his own design. The plastic yokes are not an improvement on our aluminum yokes. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

I installed the Avion Control Yokes on two years ago:

http://www.avion.com/Products/AvionCont ... trlWh.html

I really like them. I wanted to replace the "originals" because whoever owned the airplane before me inverted the originals, cut off (yes, cut off) the cross bar and had them chromed. They looked terrible and were never right.
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
surayashahar83

Post by surayashahar83 »

im searching control wheel 0513168-2. which is my old control wheel had broken. pls advice. i try to save cost.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Control wheel 0513168-2 is not a stock 170 control wheel. That control wheel part number has been superseded to part 0513166-1. You might already know this but they are available new for the mere cost of $1241. Your going to have to go to salvage yards I'm afraid.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I believe I MAY have an original 170 control wheel in a junk box. The price is right. (Join TIC170A :wink: and pay the shipping.)
I'll check the box when I return from this trip in a few days and post again.
Bruce Fenstermacher

The problem is George they will have miss matched control yokes unless you have two. BTW they never actually said they have a 170 either.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

He only asked for one...and he can paint it. :wink:
Bruce Fenstermacher

gahorn wrote:He only asked for one...and he can paint it. :wink:
George do you have a 170 yoke or do you have yoke 0513168-2 which is not a 170 yoke? He has 0513168-2.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Like I said, I ....(TIC170A actually) ....MAY have an original 170 yoke in the TIC170A junk-box. I'll have to look when I return home. I seem to recall one being in there in dilapidated, but restorable condition.

You are correct tho'...a lot of assumptions are being made in this late-post. His broken yoke might be plastic and subject to ADs which would likely require both to be replaced....and the actual model aircraft he has is not specified...and he may not want an original 170 yoke...But that causes wonderment as to why he contacted a 170 group if he didn't want a 170 part. :wink:

I figured that IF I have the yoke I think ...then he and I could further attempt communication and discuss his situation more accurately. If I return home and don't have the part....then it won't matter. I thought my comment would put the ball "in his court" and prompt him to respond more thoroughly. ... However, he might just be trolling......and we're wasting our time attempting to help him ...