Venturi Recommendations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

susang777

Post by susang777 »

Hi Bruce,

To continue both this thread and a conversation we had last Saturday morning while waiting for the weather to clear in Wilmington...

I figured out why we don't have any problems with our newer type of DG even though we only have one venturi. It turns out we also have a vacuum pump. I knew I was forgetting one of the power sources when we were talking! (I'm not a mechanic and this is all still a bit new to me.)

Anyway, the venturi system is tied into the vacuum pump system with a flip valve so that whichever one of them is pulling the most vacuum, is the one that is powering the instruments that use vacuum power.

Thought you might be interested. Please say hello to your wife for me. It was really nice meeting you both!
-Susan
N3440D
55 170B
TIC170A Member
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Your pump would be the way to go all the time till it fails then switch to the back up venturi. Before the pump falls and your counting on the venturi I'd switch and fly it. You will probably find that your one venturi will not provide enough vacuum to run both instruments reliably. Something you might want to know before you count on the venturi in a cloud.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
susang777

Post by susang777 »

Hi Bruce,

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I practice emergency procedures. If all goes well, I'm starting back with flying lessons in the 170 in mid-August.
-Susan
N3440D
55 170B
TIC170A Member