Control Wheel U-joint

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gayala

Control Wheel U-joint

Post by gayala »

Any body know of a source for u-joints other then Cessna? I saw in the book (section 6-5) where it gave the name of Freeman Aviation in Griiffin GA. But they must be out of bussiness. If you have one please email me at gayala@imail.saisd.net
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

You can still order them based on the part number throught places like iwantcessnaparts.com, yingling aircraft, and the like. As I recall, they are ridiculously pricey - like $150 - $200 each. Check the regular parts sources. Finding them shouldn't be a problem, just the price is.
Doug
gwillford

control wheel u-joint

Post by gwillford »

I just went through the same exercise with my 53 170B project. I took the part number and chased it through Cooper who makes it now for Honeywell. Honeywell was out of stock when I called about two months ago. They may have them in stock now. Give them a call and good luck!

Tech service
1-866-234-4474 Press 4
P/N UJ243
Quoted cost $79.00
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aircraft Spruce has them for less than $70. 877/477-7823
PN MS20271
gayala

Post by gayala »

Thanks for the heads up, the price from Cessna was $217.00 ea. way too high. Thanks again. :D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Freeman is not out of business unless it is recent. They did however change hands back to the family who originally started the business so the number you have may not be correct. I'll check my stuff at home post a good number. They have alway's be good folks to deal with.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gayala

Freeman

Post by gayala »

Nothing came up on the net under Freeman in GA. so maybe the name has changed also. I'll be looking for your post. Thanks
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

George,

During my annual my AI noticed that my control yoke universal joints are bit on the sloppy side. Nothing to worry about, just something to keep an eye on. While I'm under there anyway installing wiring for the new starter and engine analyzer, I thought it might be a good time to replace the u-joints.

A few years back you noted that MS20271 universal joints are available from Aircraft Spruce. They are different from original, and you didn't mention anything about approval. Are they approved just because they are built to a mil-spec, or would there be a field approval involved?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Wow Miles. Reading your post and mine above it it seems I dropped the ball about 3 years ago with Freemands contact info so here is their web site.

http://www.justplanehardware.com

They've got a lot of stuff and they aim to please is a simple good old boy sort of way but they don't have everything so they may not have what your looking for.

If they do it's usually priced fair so I like to use them for hardware and such.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Universal joints as used on the control column shaft:
Grainger Industrial Supply---$24.86 ea.
McMaster-Carr Supply Co.---$14.06 ea.
BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The prices for the above are probably out of date since my catalogs are not current.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Cessna part and the MS20271 are to the same standard, and that is the basis as I understand it.... (sorta like an AN3 bolt being airworthy because it's a.... AN3 bolt) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
six.zero.charley

Post by six.zero.charley »

I'm also shopping for a replacement control column u-joint, and looked at the Aircraft Spruce ones. My father seems to think that it's actually an elastomeric joint because of the rubber/plastic in the middle, but I think that it's just a housing around the steel joint. Has anyone actually installed these?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/ujoints.html
echild

U-Joints

Post by echild »

I just installed a control column u-joint from Aircraft Spruce. It gives all appearance of being a metal to metal joint rather than a metal to rubber to metal one. Can you take the old one off and simply peen it to tighten it up slightly?

What's the matter with these airplanes..You can't hardly get 50 years out of a simple u-joint anymore. :wink:

Everett CHilders
N49EC
1949 A model
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I believe the U-joint sold by Spruce is actually an all-metal unit, but has plastic dust-seals over it's permanently lubricated (synthetic grease) metal bearings, giving it that appearance.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)