Pilot's Operating Handbook

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dacker

Pilot's Operating Handbook

Post by dacker »

I have a question concerning POHs. I recently bought a nice little 1977 C172N to be used for flight instruction. I have been going through it to make sure everything is legal and is as perfect as I can make it for my students. I just yesterday noticed that the POH does not have the airplane serial numbers in it... in other words it doesn't seem to be airplane specific. After doing a little research I have found one publication that says that airplanes built after March 1,1979 were required to have the FAA aproved flight manual that is airplane specific. My question is is my POH legal since this airplane was built in 1977 or do I need to buy one specific to this airplane?
The one-pager for my 170 has the N number on it.

Another question concerns the W&B for the 172 and my 170. Does it need to be the signed original, or can it be a copy?
Thanks,
David
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Pilot's Operating Handbook

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I think you answered your own question regarding the POH.

I carry a copy of the current W&B in the aircraft.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The wt/bal can be a copy. It can even be one that was created by the operator (owner/pilot) and is not req'd to be by the factory, CRS, or AP/IA.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dacker

Post by dacker »

The publication that I found the blurb about POHs not being airplane specific until 1979 was the Jeppeson Private Pilot Manual... hardly able to stand scrutinization by higher authorities. Does anyone know where I can find that info in a more official publication? I have not had any luck with the AIM/FAR.
Thanks,
David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

FAR 21 Applies:

21.5 Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual.
(a) With each airplane or rotorcraft that was not type certificated with an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual and that has had no flight time prior to March 1, 1979, the holder of a Type Certificate (including a Supplemental Type Certificate) or the licensee of a Type Certificate shall make available to the owner at the time of delivery of the aircraft a current approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual.

(b) The Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual required by paragraph (a) of this section must contain the following information:

(1) The operating limitations and information required to be furnished in an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual or in manual material, markings, and placards, by the applicable regulations under which the airplane or rotorcraft was type certificated.

(2) The maximum ambient atmospheric temperature for which engine cooling was demonstrated must be stated in the performance information section of the Flight Manual, if the applicable regulations under which the aircraft was type certificated do not require ambient temperature on engine cooling operating limitations in the Flight Manual.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
canav8

Post by canav8 »

It also states usually on the type certificate data sheets for the aircraft what dated manual you must have... Good luck. V/R Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug