New fuel tank gas caps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

aileron170b

New fuel tank gas caps

Post by aileron170b »

I need to purchase two new caps. Does anyone have quick suggestions/tips on where to purchase and type for 1955 170B?
Thanks!
Michelle
n3439d

Post by n3439d »

Monarch sell a nice set of fuel caps at http://www.monarch-air.com. They are an improvment over cessnas design.

ken
c170b53

gas caps

Post by c170b53 »

I'm replying, I don't know where except maybe Wentworth or better yet Preferred Airparts .What I'd like to know is how to remove the filler necks that become corroded into the tanks.I've see an ad for a new tool that claims to remove them,has anyone seen this new tool?I'm looking at my tanks and thinking big trouble if I mess with them.
hallwerks

Re: Gas Caps/ Filler Necks

Post by hallwerks »

The filler neck is is screwed into the retainer ring. To remove the filler neck, use a small electric grinder like a dremel tool or die grinder and grind out the two staked indedentations into the retainer ring. Caution: be sure to remove all the material where the neck is staked. If any material is left, it will strip the threads in the retainer ring. Using a heat gun, heat the filler neck and let the heat transfer to the retainer ring. The aluminum material material of the ring will expand more than the steel neck. Using a spanner wrench that fits inside the neck, unscrew the neck The threads are right hand.
To fit a new neck, using an appropriate sealer, install all the parts in the tank. Using the spanner wrench install the filler neck being carefull to align the neck so the vented caps will align into the wind. Use a round headed punch to stake the neck in two places to prevent it from unscrewing. Tom
Tom Hall
GAHorn

Re: Gas Caps/ Filler Necks

Post by GAHorn »

Thomas Hall wrote:The filler neck is is screwed into the retainer ring. To remove the filler neck, use a small electric grinder like a dremel tool or die grinder and grind out the two staked indedentations into the retainer ring. Caution: be sure to remove all the material where the neck is staked. If any material is left, it will strip the threads in the retainer ring. Using a heat gun, heat the filler neck and let the heat transfer to the retainer ring. The aluminum material material of the ring will expand more than the steel neck. Using a spanner wrench that fits inside the neck, unscrew the neck The threads are right hand.
To fit a new neck, using an appropriate sealer, install all the parts in the tank. Using the spanner wrench install the filler neck being carefull to align the neck so the vented caps will align into the wind. Use a round headed punch to stake the neck in two places to prevent it from unscrewing. Tom
Caution: Don't forget when you're working with a fuel tank full of explosive fumes, a grinder will create sparks and heat. An electrically operated tool of any kind is dangerous. Drain your fuel tank, leave the cap off for 48 hours with a gently-flowing air-hose lowered into the tank. Fill the tank with either CO-2 or Nitrogen prior to working on it. (Some people fill them with water which is a good idea, but you'll have to remember to drain it all out later.) Keep a floor fan circulating air across the work and keep a fire extinguisher and fire-blanket close by and a well-briefed co-worker to keep an eye on you. Wear face protection and long sleeves made of wool or cotton. NO POLYESTER or synthetics.[/b]
Last edited by GAHorn on Thu May 02, 2002 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hallwerks

Re: GasCaps/filler neck

Post by hallwerks »

You remove the retainer ring before you attempt to remove the filler neck. Do not work on the filler neck on the fuel tank. Tom
Tom Hall
GAHorn

Re: GasCaps/filler neck

Post by GAHorn »

Thomas Hall wrote:You remove the retainer ring before you attempt to remove the filler neck. Do not work on the filler neck on the fuel tank. Tom
Thanks Tom, for clarifying that. I had a fear of someone doing this in situ.
c170b53

gas tank fill neck retaining ring

Post by c170b53 »

I looked at this briefly, how does the retaining ring come out? The only spot is by the fuel gauge at the side, is there enough room to squeeze it out there?
spduffee

Re: New fuel tank gas caps

Post by spduffee »

I was looking for infos on replacing the filler neck and found these older posts. I don't suppose the A/C Spruce variant is compatible?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... kkey=17896

That would be too easy, and cheap, right? I see Yingling has a replacement for about $180. Is there any difference?
N5448C -1950 170-A
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

The the Aircraft Spruce link you provided made reference to "300 series caps and necks". On another post Richard provided a link to F.A. Dodge's fuel cap adapters. One was for a Wisco adapter. If you go to Wisco's website you can see that they offer a 300 series neck in several different styles. This leads me to believe that Aircraft Spruce gets their gas necks from Wisco. The one pictured in the Aircraft Spruce catalog looks like the 327 neck on Wisco's website. I'd call Spruce to confirm it's threaded then call Wisco to try and get a better price straight from the manufacturer. Is 2-5/16 X 18 NF the right thread to match the 170 tank?
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Spruce is typically very up-front about where they get their stuff. If you call them to find out if they're threaded (and what thread count that might be) they will likely admit up-front from whom they are supplied. (And strange as it might seem...in many cases Spruce is less expensive than the supplier of their aftermarket parts, primarily due to volume and/or market-discounting I suspect.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Wow, finally an aircraft part that doesn't require a payment plan!
I'll look into both Wisco and Spruce, but George you're right - Spruce is such a huge buyer they often sell for 10% or more cheaper than the manufacturer. I looked into Monarch adapters, but they went under I guess...their website gives an error feedback. Is there anything available for the 170 series that gets rid of the bird bath and brings the cap up flush with the skin?
N5448C -1950 170-A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Monarch caps are now produced/supported by Hartwig: http://www.hartwigfuelcell.com/monarchcaps.php

Check out THIS installation on a ragwing: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... ing#p41877
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I have had a set of Monarch aux tanks in my C-180 which have the Monarch caps since 1991. I have had no problems with the caps, they seal well and do not let water in the tanks. What I do not like about the Monarch caps other than they are ugly is they are hard to grasp for removal at times. When the caps are wet, have frost on them, or when I'm wearing gloves, they are very hard to get a grip on them. The taper on top of the cap tends to cause your grip to slip off and the indentions are marginally deep enough to provide good grip. Again, there is nothing wrong with how they work as gas caps to seal the tanks. I just don't like the design for ease of operation. The red Cessna caps have tabs that are very easy to use in all conditions and work just fine as well.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Ok, that'll have to wait...I will definitely add that to my own personal Mod-wish-list. For now I'll go measure my filler neck and count the threads, and curse Cessna for another bungled design idea. Thanks guys!
N5448C -1950 170-A