7MA2 Ice Party

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

15A

7MA2 Ice Party

Post by 15A »

Last Sunday, 2-1-09, we were able to have our 'Fly-in / Cook-out' with some of our local pilot friends. Ice was 8" and all went well. Hot chocolate, chili, hot dogs... Great fun!

Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
bsdunek

Re: 7MA2 Ice Party

Post by bsdunek »

Looks like great fun! Wish I'd been there.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
15A

Post by 15A »

Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
170C

Post by 170C »

That looks like a heck of a lot of fun, except for freezing your buns off. As an ole southern guy, I don't know much about all that ice. How do you stop when you land? Looks like you'd go forever. How long is that lake/runway? How deep is the lake and how thick is the ice? I always wondered how thick ice would need to be to land on. Also how do you walk around without busting your butt on that slick ice? Educate this ole boy.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

From my old Boy Scout Field Manual, re: how many skaters allowed on a frozen body of water:
One inch - Keep Off!
Two Inches - One May!
Three inches - Small Groups.
Four inches - O-Kay! (the illustration showed a horse-drawn sleigh and lots of skaters,)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

170C wrote:That looks like a heck of a lot of fun, except - - - - - - - - - - - Educate this ole boy.
FRANK IMA SHAME O U . YOU WORIEN BOUT FREEZIN BUTSS AND SKINNY ICE - - - - BUT DIDJA SEE THE TALE NUMER "N6165A" RITE IN FRONT UV URE NOZE? ITSA SISTER TO OLE POKEY AINT IT? :lol:

LONG AGO WHEN I HAD TO LIVE NORTH OF THE MASON DIXON, FROZEN WATER WAS OUR WINTER PASTIME - THAT IS IF IT WAS ABOVE 0'F........... WE LIVED ON A 1300 ACRE LAKE IN NORTHERN MISSOURI THAT USUALLY FROZE OVER BY THANKSGIVING. WHEN THE ICE GOT OVER 8" THICK WE RACED UP AND DOWN THE LAKE ON OUR MOTORCYCLES, DUNE BUGGIES AND SNOWMOBILES. A COUPLE OF TIMES I LANDED THE 170 ON THE REAL SLICK SURFACE AND IT WAS A REAL FUNNY FEELING TO BE GOING SIDEWAYS IN AN AIRPLANE. A THIN LAYER OF SNOW ON TOP MADE IT EASIER TO TAXI AND TURN BUT THAT SLICK SURFACE WAS A BEARCAT AND WITH LITTLE CONTROL EXCEPT THE RUDDER YOU DIDN'T WANT TO GET TOO CLOSE TO THE SHORE IF THE WIND WAS WRONG! KINDA LIKE SEA-PLANING IT!
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

ImageImageImageImage

AND THEY THOUGHT FLY IN FISHING WAS DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!! :D
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

This stuff looks almost ridiculous!
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's not a good idea to leave the car running when parked on ice.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

And the kicker is (from what people who have dropped a vehicle through the ice have told me) is that your insurance will not cover you. Kind of a double whammy.

Paul
Paul
N3458D
N170GA

Post by N170GA »

My friends and I do a lot of ski flying in winter and I use the lakes frequently. I generally like to see 8 inches of "Good" ice before I venture out onto most lakes. By good ice, I mean clear, solid ice. If the ice is layered with snow, slush or any other things to compromise the strength, I do some investigating (ice augers come in handy for checking thickness and quality) before using it to land on.
The key for landing on ice is to "fly" the airplane until it stops. You will have steering and some rudder control down to a low speed unless you have a wind from the side to blow you off course. Of course when you pick your "runway" for landing on a lake (like seaplane flying) you always land directly into the wind. Generally, you can taxi just like on land. The biggest danger is jumping out of the airplane with warm boots (if your heater is any good) onto ice. You gotta "ease out onto the ice"...no jumping!
Most of the best landings I've ever made are on a sheet of ice. Think about it...As the wheels touch down the gear squats with the weight of the airplane and the tires slide outward on the ice surface, No chirps, No veering, No crosswind, and (unless you really drop it in) No bouncing! The airplane WILL go straight ahead (Newton's idea, not mine)...you just have to keep it pointed straight ahead. The second dangerous point in time is when observers think you are conceited after stepping out of the airplane with that $%#( ^#$*(&^ grin on your face! 8) (DON'T blow it here...see first danger listed above. It will erase that grin really fast!) :oops: If you can ease the airplane onto the ice like you do when you get that beloved "chirp" on dry land...you'll be addicted! :)
The best way to get exposed to the experience is to find a friend who has done it and plan a trip to try it together. It will take a lot of the stress and anxiety away for your first trip on ice.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

And don't taxi downwind with a stiff breeze blowing on glare ice! Your brakes won't work and the only way to get turned around is to give it power which will speed you up and you'll end up having to do an intentional 1/2 groundloop, sliding sideways hoping your gear doesn't collapse until the nose comes around into the wind. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!