Split topic (Hangar/ Engine Oil) about Fly-in Destinations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Sorry George, my chain has been short lately!
Knowing your an ole Pipeline Patrol Pilot and hearing of your experiences, I should have caught that, especially with the rolling eyes Smiley added.
Good point on the deer Eric. Lots of deer around my airport. Moose tended to trot off with a fly-by. I did have two young Grizzlies one time that I could not get off a landing spot. Buzzed and Buzzed and they would just stand up and swat at me. Had to land on another ridge top (Before it got DARK).
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

zero.one.victor wrote:One thing that bothers me about night landings is the fact that deer seem to LOVE hanging out on or adjacent to the runway,at least here in the pacific northwest. A "deer strike" could ruin your whole day. They're not smart enough to yield the right of way,either. Dusk seems to be the worst time,at least that's when I most often see them. Of course,after full dark,I can't see well enough to see them........So if you see what look like pairs of little runway lights out on the runway,go around! A low pass sometimes runs them off,but by the time you go around & line up on final again they're quite often right back out there.

Eric
I've killed three deer with airplanes here at the ranch. Each time I hit them with a wheel and only had a firm thump....no damage. And each time I've struck a deer it was after I'd buzzed the place and stirred them up. Whenever I've just come in and landed I've never hit one. Not a scientific study perhaps, but a worthy anecdote nontheless.
I've also decided that deer do not become "mesmerized" or hypnotized by lights. They are merely frightened and are trying to run somewhere....anywhere else but where they are....and the only place they can see to run is that bright spot right there....in front of the airplane/truck/car. Who want's to run at high speed into the darkness where you can hit God knows what?
If you keep your hand on the landing light switch, and the deer heads directly in front of you, then just momentarily (2 or 3 seconds) turn the lights off. The deer will realize 1) the light is only temporarily an illusion and cannot be relied upon and 2) their vision recovers in the darkness and they turn away and run back the other direction. I've demonstrated this numerous times and it never fails. Try it.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Reminds me of the old advise about night landings: turn on the landing light on final. If ya don't like what ya see,turn it back off.......

Eric
flyguy

HITTIN DEER

Post by flyguy »

WAL GAYHORN IMA GONNA TOLE YOU I SHORE NUF DOANT WANNA HITS NO DEER WITH EENY PART U MY PLANE! IVA HIT THREE WITH VARIOUS MOTERIZED GROUNDED TRANSPORT AN COME OUT WORSE EVER TIME! ONE TIME WE WUZ DRIVIN IN A SLICK OLDSYMOBILE OUT NEAR OZONA TEXAS AN A BUCK JUMP OUTA THU WEEDS JES WIPE OUT THE FRONT END OF THAT PURTY CAR. CAUSE IT NOKD OUT THU HEDLITES WE PARK BESIDE THU ROAD TIL DAYLITE. ON THE CONTINUE OF THE TRIP IN DAYTIME WE COUNT ROUN 20 MORE DED DEER ON THE ROAD THRU FREDRIKSBURG TEXAS AN ON TO LOOSYANA. NOW I AINT SAYIN TEXAS DEER ARE DUMMER THAN OURS OVER HYEAR BUT I AINT NEVER SEEN BUT TWO BUCKS THAT GOT RUNNED OVER IN LOOSYANA!

MY REKOMEND - - TROW OUT A COUPLE OF HANDY GRENADE OR SUM LOOSYANA FISH FINDER (DYNOMITE) AND THATTL SURE CLEAR THE AREA OF ANYMALS. JES BE CAREFULE TU DOGE THE CRATERS AN YOULL PROBLY BE ABLE TU LAN OK. :lol:

PEE ESS: JOE :roll: THU IDEAR IS TU GIT RID OF THE ANYMULS NOT CALL EM IN! BESIDES EENY FELLER THAT HAS TU USE HIS "CROSS FROM SOMBODY" AN "DOWN FROM SUMBODY ELSE" TU FINE HIS WAY ROUND - SHUDNT BE A DRIVIN OR FLYIN ROUN IN THU DARK ER TRYIN TU TELL SUMMNONE ELSE HOW TU DO IT!

DID YA REELY GIT THAT BUTTIN THAT SAID "I FOUND THU FLYING "M" RANCH OR DIJA STEEL GEORGES! :P OOPS MAYBE HE DINT GIT ONE
Last edited by flyguy on Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Louisiana fish finder,I love it.....
Reminds me of the joke about the redneck who was fishing with dynamite. The game warden pulled his boat up alongside the redneck's boat & started giving him a hard time. The redneck lit a stick of dynamite,put it in the game warden's hand,and asked him "do ya wanna talk,or do ya wanna fish?".......

Eric
N1478D

Re: HITTIN DEER

Post by N1478D »

flyguy wrote:
PEE ESS: JOE :roll: THU IDEAR IS TU GIT RID OF THE ANYMULS NOT CALL EM IN! BESIDES EENY FELLER THAT HAS TU USE HIS "CROSS FROM SOMBODY" AN "DOWN FROM SUMBODY ELSE" TU FINE HIS WAY ROUND - SHUDNT BE A DRIVIN OR FLYIN ROUN IN THU DARK ER TRYIN TU TELL SUMMNONE ELSE HOW TU DO IT! DID YA REELY GIT A BUTTIN THAT SAID "I FOUND THU FLYING "M" RANCH OR DIJA STEEL GEORGES! :P
That was after landing Flyguy! A person should always stay coordinated. :lol:
It was a pleasure meeting you and Mrs. Flyguy at Reklaw. You missed Georges latest night landing by not getting there till Saturday. I'll be kind and not go into details. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ha!
Well, Jamie and I got back from Reklaw around 3PM, and we had another great time, courtesy of Dave and Marcia Mason! Even though it rained pretty well during Saturday and early Sun., it was still a good time, and lots of airplanes showed up. (Never heard the final count, but it was estimated at near 300, with over 700 people.)
Sleepin' in the tent with the rain comin' down was a deep, peaceful dream. I couldn't believe it when 30 mins before dawn, I heard "rrrringggg--diiingggg-ddiiiing--diiinnnggg" and another ultralight ran around the patch to check the air to see if it had any lift in it! :lol:
And how 'bout that perfectly polished Kinner-powered Ryan!!! It was a great time. Again!
Next year............... :!: :!: :!: :!:
dacker

Post by dacker »

OK!! Now I'm really disappointed, I was planning on driving up in the RV and at the last minute we got too busy, so I just stayed home. Sounds like everyone had a nice time at Reklaw. I will definitely plan on making it next year, and maybe I'll be able to bring 9584A with me!
Talking about night flying:
After finally getting my "A" model flying again (see Grounded) I was itching to go fly when I noticed the huge moon and clear sky a week or so ago. I rushed down to Brenham, preflighted, decided to ignore the flickering panel lights and blasted off into the darkness. Flew around for half an hour with a little flashlight between my legs (no jokes please), and finally headed back for Brenham. I was about three miles away when I heard a big FWUMP and the whole airplane shuddered. I swear I could count the blades for a brief second (adrenaline?). Anyhow, it was just the door on the engine cowling. After I realized that everything was still working I came in and probably made the best night landing I have ever made - fixed wing or helicopter! I love night flying, but I have to admit, I am usually wired a little tighter when I do it.
David
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Thanks George! :wink:
Hope you didn't miss much while waiting, to make that night landing, for me. I do appreciate you taking the heat off! :D
Warning: Please do not attempt this manuvuer without B ig flaps.