Door Latches

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sj

Post by sj »

George,

Took your advice, called John D. Benham and orderd myself some latches, he was such a nice guy I ordered his exhaust pipe extensions also. Since my plane was being worked on, I needed the stuff in a hurry and John literally turned the stuff around in 1 day for me.

THANKS! :P

sj
1952 170B
Steve Johnson
Lake Waukomis, MO
Email: Steve (at) Supercub (dot) Org
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

After I asked about the door locks it dawned on me. Anyone who wants to open the door will simply pull the hinge pins out and throw the door on the ground. I'd rather let them open the door and take what they want than to have my doors damaged. This is why I have insurance!

Thanks for the info on the sky catch and hatch latch. Mine I suppose is a sky latch as it uses an aluminum fitting mounted to the exterior of the door near the hole used by the original catch. I'll try to repair my damaged fitting a new back plate. Thinking about the hatch latch with the nylon receiver on the inside of the door over the original hole....it must be a really low profile unit to not foul with the door gasket and the door opening?
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
sj

Post by sj »

Ahh but remember, locks are just to keep honest people out...

sj
1952 170B
Steve Johnson
Lake Waukomis, MO
Email: Steve (at) Supercub (dot) Org
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Re: hatch latch receiver, I had to "shave" the thickness of the door gasket to accomodate the depth of the receiver. It's not too deep (maybe 3/16" or so, I'd have to go look), but my door gasket, I suspect, is thicker than some others. You may find you have to either shave the gasket some or remove a small section. The receiver is about an inch or so long... long enough to bridge the distance between the first rivets to either side of the old latch hole in the door. at any rate, I haven't noticed any change in my door seals since putting them on.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

John, ...
Someone else already answered about the Hatch-Latch (which is nylon) versus the Sky Latch (which resembles ordinary cabinet hardware from the hardware store).
Re: door locks: These are really simple devices that any local locksmith can repair.
R COLLINS

door latch springs

Post by R COLLINS »

I need new door latch springs too. I e-mailed Lee Chavez, he now wants $11.00 each for his springs. I then ran the spring part no. 0411554 through Cessna parts website and they cross referenced this part no. with 0411567-2. They are listed as fitting models 152-182 for $3.68 each. Has anyone tried these springs? There was not a picture available for reference. Thanks, Randal N1745D
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Check out the Cessna 120-140 Club website.
http://www.cessna120-140.org
Click on library,then as I recall click on diagrams. there is instructions,a drawing,etc for making a simple jig for fabricating your own door latch springs. Not too hard,the piano wire needed is available at most hardware stores.
Thye springs aren't worth 11 bucks,they were barely worth the 7 or so that Lee used to charge.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

While researching for another member, I noticed that HatchLatch contact info was not included on this msg thread.

HatchLatch
Rt. 5, Box 148
Weatherford, OK 73096

Phone 405/772-5836 was the last ph# I had for them.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hatchlatch is no longer available I'm told, they're out of business. McFarlane is attempting to gain approval to produce the product.
Johnny Williams, TIC170A member, Ducote, TX makes stainless strikers to replace the nylon HatchLatch strikers ($5) (fits the underwing bracket) and he can supply original Tinnerman receptacles. 325-944-8558
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Too bad the hatch-latch folks quit,it's a pretty nice product--works well for not much money. Rare in the aviation world! I've had mine installed for about 6 years now,& probably a thousand hours. I haven't had any problem with the nylon "striker", a stainless striker seems to me like a solution in search of a problem (no offense to Johnny Williams).
I hope McFarlane or someone does pick it up.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The nylon strikers are easily broken by inexperienced pilots/pax when they use the door to support their weight during ingress/egress. Stainless strikers should never break.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I have had several nylon strikers to break...Johnny sent stainless ones last time and they are still their after a couple of years. He sent the catches also but I have not installed them. I am still using the nylon in the door.