Gascolator Glass Bowl Needed

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2520V

Gascolator Glass Bowl Needed

Post by N2520V »

The glass bowl on my gascolator is cracked and I'm wondering what the chances of finding a replacement are or to just go ahead and buy a PMA'd one. I'd like to keep the original if possible. Any input or possible source would be appreciated.

Part Number - K2214a (Cover - Glass Fuel Strainer)
0450013-4 - Fuel Strainer (Koehler)

Many thanks.

-Dustin
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dustin the glass ones are out there you just have to keep looking. One place I'd look real close is a tractor supply or bone yard.

You might find one just like it that isn't cracked and safer to carry around with you as a sample than the cracked one you have while looking for the exact same thing that came from an airplane. 8)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Bought a new one from Premier aviation several years ago. http://www.premierav.com/
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
KMac

Post by KMac »

I know there is a lot of debate on this but..... My mechanics absolutely wanted me to change out the glass bowl for an aluminum one. If the bowl is not installed correctly, if there is a chip or hairline crack, if some FOD makes its way into the engine cowl, the glass can shatter and then you gotta land. One of their friends died because a gascolator on his plane broke in flight. I know it may be contested - but I bought into it and got a new aluminum one. No, my mechanics didn't sell the gascolator to me.

Kevin
N2520V

Post by N2520V »

The gascolator's on the Ragwings are the same as the ones on the 140's and those guys have found that, interestingly enough, a glass bowl exactly like the one on the airplane , for reference only of course, is available from John Deere for $10.50. I'll keep looking for the "airplane" version. Thanks for all the input. :wink:

-Dustin
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

N2520V wrote:The gascolator's on the Ragwings are the same as the ones on the 140's and those guys have found that, interestingly enough, a glass bowl exactly like the one on the airplane , for reference only of course, is available from John Deere for $10.50. I'll keep looking for the "airplane" version. Thanks for all the input. :wink:

-Dustin
I owned a 120 for 5 years and to the best of my knowledge the glass bowl is no longer available, at least from any sources I could find. If you purchase one from John Deere for "reference" take the old one with you as they have 2 sizes. It's a stock item at the parts counter. They also have the gaskets. You have to remember that early 170's were built with parts that were cutting edge 1930's tractor technology.

Steve's Aircraft makes the STC'd metal gascolators. $200 plus fittings . http://www.stevesaircraft.com/gascolator.php I don't know anything about them other than what I have read on their site.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've heard time and again that "the FAA" and "my mechanic" says the glass bowls are "illegal"/"dangerous" (use whichever you like). I have not found any documentation to such claims.
I like the glass bowl because you can see the contents. I hate the glass bowl because they are easily dropped/abused and break.
I keep a spare I bought for such exigencies. (No, it's not for sale for a reasonable price. But I have a used "loaner" that'll get you by until you acqure one elsewhere. PM me.

(I also have an intense curiosity why a plain aluminum tube couldn't be cut and the edges dressed to replace the glass one....properly documented as a minor alteration, of course.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Gary

Re: Gascolator Glass Bowl Needed

Post by Gary »

Are there any new leads for a glass bowl replacement? I have gone through the ones here to no avail. I dropped mine yesterday while cleaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stopped by Tractor Supply last night and all they had were cone shaped bowls. I need a straight glass tube open on both ends. 3" tall by 2 1/4 inches diameter. Part number 05119-5, Hill has them $274.55! I can't find a John Deer item that is open on both ends. Help. Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Gary, ...I have a "loaner". You'll have to return it some day in the future unless you convince me you dropped it and broke it. (Then we'll talk about the equivalent value of St. Pauli Girl cases.) :twisted:

PS: Now is the time to replace the gaskets as well: You can get the gascolator gaskets from Cessna,
Part Number 33-199-6 . Contact Hill Aircraft at: 800-998-7832
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

gahorn wrote:(I also have an intense curiosity why a plain aluminum tube couldn't be cut and the edges dressed to replace the glass one....properly documented as a minor alteration, of course.)
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... 225&step=4
6061 T6 Schedule 40 pipe.
Nominal 2.5"
OD 2.875"
ID 2.469"
Wall 0.203"

Anyone up for a newsletter article?
Gary

Post by Gary »

George, I like the glass bowl so I can see what's inside. I may order the aluminum tube and make a spare from the link here. I have spent the whole morning online looking at leads and am getting frustrated at not finding a good lead. I would love to borrow your glass bowl while I look for a replacement. Could you mail it to me, and I will send you the cash for postage? I will order new gaskets from hill as I need to order some bearings for my rudder pedals too. My Virginia address is in the directory. Thank, Gary
Gary

Post by Gary »

George, mine is 2 3/16 OSD, and 2 7/8 tall. The link for the aluminum pipe is much bigger. I will have to take another look at it. Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Gary, I did not provide any link to alum tubing... that was from another Member.
I will be placing the gascolator glass in the mail Friday morning...you should have it Mon or Tues. Don't worry about the postge. (But if you make the Mid-year mtg in Atlanta ...you'll owe me a beer.) :lol:
Gary

Post by Gary »

I can sure do the beer thing. Thanks George. The other link for tubing was from bagarre and is http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... 225&step=4
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I ran across a guy that told me he had made a new glass bowl for his gascolator by carefully cutting both ends off of a glass jar that he found with the proper diameters.
Another guy up at Johnson Creek had one made out of a plexiglas tube. He said the plexiglas will not last like glass since it tends to absorb the color or something from the fuel and gets foggy.
I've also seen a replacement made with a piece of white plastic PVC water pipe.
BL