Hartiwg (Monarch) Fuel Caps on a Ragwing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Hartiwg (Monarch) Fuel Caps on a Ragwing

Post by doug8082a »

The following is from an email I received from association member Tom George. Tom was able to get a field approval for the Hartwig (formerly Monarch) fuel caps on his '48 ragwing. There are 10 photos, so this post is a bit lengthy.

==========================================

Doug

Sorry it took so long to get these pictures to you. This modification is really quite easy, and should be a big improvement over the original caps, and the new caps are also vented. Those old dished caps always hold water after a rain storm of foggy morning. Our old caps always leaked no matter what we did. The Hatwig cap adapter flange is raised slightly (about .090") in the center, which should alleviate water intrusion problems.

I worked with Butch Hartwig up in the Canandian office, but sent him some photos and now the US office may be aware of what's necessary for the modification. This was done on a one-time field approval.

Send me a note if you have any questions or call.

Tom George

1. Original cap and fabric termination flange. If nutplates are not installed, then installation will be required as seen here. Used floating plates MS21059-L08.

2. The tank adapter (Hartwig p/n FC0006) will need to be ordered undrilled as a blank. The cap is p/n FC002.

3. This is after trimming to fit the fabric termination flange. Requires approximately 1" to 1 1/2" to be removed in order to match the tank flange.

4. Unfortunately, the anti-siphon valve will have to removed.
The original tank inlet interferes with its operation. If you want to retain it, the tank will have to modified. This is never a favorite of the FAA.

5. After installation on the tank. A small band of PRC1422 was appplied to the flange from the edge of the mounting holes to about 1/4" inside of the raised portion of the cap adapter. You can see the bend in the adapter plate, which installs just outside of the seat for the original cap. The hole in the back of the filler neck is there to allow the vented cap to perform properly. It also allows you to see if at least see part of your sealant bead after installation. A tank pressure test is required after installtion. (Be careful not to overpressurize the tank, it will ruin your day.)

6. Tank installed.

7. Tank installed.

8. Tank installed.

9. Tank installed.

10. Fabric termination plate installed.
Doug
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Mighty nice looking work there George!!! :)
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

johneeb wrote:Mighty nice looking work there George!!! :)
Just to be clear... his name is Tom George. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Sorry about the name mistake Tom, There are so many Georges' in this organization that it is an easy mistake to make.

All the Georges' and I admire the quality of the work on your wings. :)
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
TG

Post by TG »

Thanks guys, just wish there was more time to get things done a little faster -- Oh well!

This is a fairly easy modification and it wouldn't be all that hard to accomplish even if your aren't currently recovering your wings. It would only require a small circular patch, similar to a doily over the inspection hole ring -- the tanks don't have to be removed -- just a little less convenient and time on top of a ladder.
48RagwingPilot

Re: Hartiwg (Monarch) Fuel Caps on a Ragwing

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

I am considering the Hartwig (Monarch) fuel cap mod as a winter project for my '48 C170. Did the Association ever acquire the Form 337 that Mr. Wood spoke of in his earlier posts? If not, has anyone else performed this mod and, if so, would you be willing to share your paperwork? Thx.
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Can anyone at least provide a "yes" or "no" on the question whether paperwork for this mod is available through the Association? Thx.
DWood

Post by DWood »

PM sent
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Problem solved. Thx!!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

and the answer was...???
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

So I've seen Monarch caps on 180s...why can't these be adapted to use in 170As and 170Bs, particularly if they're vented?
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Does anyone know a DER who can help me with a field approval for Monarch fuel caps!? Thx.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

NOTE: This is a different cap than that which was originally produced by "Monarch" and was condemned because it did not meet venting-pressure-specs and was dangerous, resulting in the FAA removing Monarch's mfr'g approval.
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Hartwig/Monarch premium fuel caps are still in production. Does anyone know a DER who operates in the Pacific NW?
DWood

Post by DWood »

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation ... ectory.pdf

Worth a try. I take it FSDO wouldn't do a field approval.