Handheld Transceivers

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

TJT

Handheld Transceivers

Post by TJT »

What is everyone using for handheld transcievers? Is it worth getting a Nav capable model? I heard from one guy that you will never use the NAV side.

I hope this topic has not already been beaten to death. I searched the Forums under transceiver and didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help guys.

TJT
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I use a KX-99 plumbed through COMM2 on the audio panel, and my choice of external nav or comm antennas. Works pretty well to monitor an AWOS before checking off the flight following frequency, and to monitor 121.5 in today's environment. If navigating VORs (seldom these days, for sure) the NAV side is handy for cross bearings. I used to use it to cross check the accuracy of my KX-155, and it was always within 1 degree.

When I first bought it (1990-91) I used it as sole nav/com between the time my old MK12A went tango uniform, and I had saved enough of my pennies for the KX-155. Wired to an external antenna, it worked as well as any nav/comm could be expected. With the proliferation of handheld GPS these days, I'm not sure nav side would be used very often.

Miles
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

I have an older KX 100 com/gps it works good but it mostly stays in my bag holding dead batterys :oops:
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

A good many years ago, when I was in the market for my first hand held aeronautical transciever, a friend in the non aeronautical commercial radio business suggested I get an ICOM. He said that they had , by far, the most experience making hand held transcievers for the likes of police, fire, and commercial users and their units were the most rugged and durable, and were very trouble free.
I bought one in 1990 and I've never done anything except replace the battery. It works perfectly. However, I can't recommend one with the nav function since I've never once used mine. I think that function is superflous.
BL
pdb

Post by pdb »

blueldr wrote:A good many years ago, when I was in the market for my first hand held aeronautical transciever, a friend in the non aeronautical commercial radio business suggested I get an ICOM.
I agree. I have had an Icom A-22 (with nav) which I have used many weekends for 12 hours a day during glider ops. Its been dropped repeatedly. Still functions flawlessly. Its the Toyota of handhelds.

Here are some of my observations FWIW:

The nav function is a waste of money.

Get a decent sized battery. Many of the handhelds today are not much more than wrist ornaments because they have tiny batteries (which account for most of the mass.) If all you are going to do is to call clearance delivery or listen to atis before you start the engines, fine... go for the ornament. It's a nice fashion accessory.

However, if you are going to use the handheld as a real backup, you probably want:

1) to have it set up to connect to your headset with its own push to talk (more cords). You then have a real tool that you can use to get down in an emergency and/or actually navigate some air space for a while.

2) Have a decent battery. I have an aftermarket 1200 mah that is an exact replacement for the original 600 mah. Size matters.

3) If its truly an emergency backup and won't see regular use, consider having an alkaline AA backup pack. The alkalines have a much better shelf life and pose less of a chance of being stone cold dead when you really need them if they w are simply going to be stashed unused until the Big Emergency. They are superior to Nicads. I have no idea how good the new Ni-NH or Li-Ion packs are in this respect.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
tshort

Post by tshort »

I have the Icom A24 and like it a lot. It is bigger, so it is easy to hold in one hand and still hit buttons (the smaller one is tougher to tune).

It is very durable and reliable. I also have an alkaline battery pack for backup.

T.
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

This is kinda late, but my two centavos worth...

Ten years ago, I acquired a Garmin GPS/COM 190 which I really like.
It has a push to talk built in and has a plug you can attach to the side of the unit for your headphones. Bought it because I was operating a Great Lakes biplane (single com) out of Orange County (SNA) and was a bit concerned about trying to get back in with a com failure. The biplane didn't carry an abundance of fuel and 1.5 hours of aerobatic flight at 25 square increased one's interest in landing without delay.

Cons: Battery is worthless. You gotta plug the thing in to a power source (cigarette lighter) for a cross country. If it lays in the sun and gets hot, the display fades to almost unreadable. Had to return mine to the factory five (5) times for problems. (It was not mishandled.)

Pros: Fairly light for a combo GPS/COM and the 12 channel GPS is deadly accurate. I have a panel mounted GPS to which I compare both location and ground speed. Also provisions for external antennas for both functions and nowadays it works very reliably. The COM feature is handy and good as a backup. It's very easy to update the GPS database via the internet. Costs $35.00 and I update about every 18 months. Though not allowed......I can place the 190 next to the small passenger window in an airliner and locate enough satellites to obtain ground speed, altitude, direction and location.

In my case, I plan to remove the KX170B and KI 203 and install a single SL 40 for COM. Saves about 7-8 pounds. Having a backup GPS/COM will maintain my comfort level.

Everybody is different :? ...I use the 190 for Nav much more than the Com function. ALWAYS LIKE TO KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I AM 8)... finger on ze map don't ya know.
chuck
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

I heard a story from one of my instructors about his friend, who is a 747 captain. Early in his career he was on an IPC under the hood at night, and while on an ILS final the CFII shut down his avionics and asked him what he was going to do. Without missing a beat he reached into his bag and grabbed his handheld navcom and dialed in the ILS freq and kept it on the localizer. I suppose if you were established on the glideslope already you could just maintain your vertical speed and airspeed and it would save your butt. Maybe not quite legal, but...

I could never, nor would I want to pull off a feat like that but I like the story.
Romeo Tango

Vertex VXA-700

Post by Romeo Tango »

I had a KX-99 and loved it, but it chewed through all forms of batteries. I went with the Vertex to get a few more features of the ICOM, including the Ham Band (can't get it anymore, alas). I like the temperature indicator, and the programmable light - you can make it any color you want to specify frequencies in use in the scan mode.

And I put in an external dedicated "emergency" antenna in my C170 and get a lot more range with it. And it serves on NAV mode reasonably well.

You can even use it as a flashlight in the superbright mode for the LED indicator.
TJT

Vertex

Post by TJT »

I would love an ICOM but, can't justify the price for the amount of use I expect it to get. Vertex seems to give you more features for less $$$$. I'm leaning towards one of the lower end Vertex units.

I've heard good things about the KX-99. I see them used still bringing well over $100. Used ICOM stuff is crazy expensive and most of the time the batteries seem to be questionable.

Thanks for all the input guys.

TJT
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I'm using the same icom portable in my J3 that I bought for it in 1989. I'm on my second rechargeable battery pack, and I keep an alkaline pack for a backup when the rechargeable gives up (it holds ten AA cells). If people are paying a premium for icom radios, I guess I can understand why! :)
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift