Franklin 220 hp

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

apex ak

Franklin 220 hp

Post by apex ak »

Does anybody have any input/info on the Franklin engine? Cost, performance, parts avail, etc.
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... anklin+220

Try a search for Franklin 220 for more links/info.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

I have a 220 hp Franklin 170B , it is a Great airplane . Floats , wheels , and skis nothing is more fun. What do you want to know, I might have an answer. Andrew :roll:
apex ak

Franklin 220

Post by apex ak »

Did you install the franklin? How long ago? How much did it cost? What are some of the performance numbers? Have you had to do repairs? How much time is on the engine at this time? What prop did you go with?
tunraflyer

Post by tunraflyer »

which 170 do you have in mcgrath? is this jason or brett? Jeremy here in bethel have a guy here who has 220 franklin had nothing but problems
A&P, IA, BS
N3439D 55 cessna 170B
N89420 46 cessna 140
apex ak

Post by apex ak »

Hey Jeremy, Jacen here. There are 3 170 b's here in McGrath now I am looking into the Franklin option trying to find out more info.
tunraflyer

Post by tunraflyer »

hey jacen there are two 170b's here in bethel the other one installed 220 franklin several years ago i think he likes the perfromance, just been having problems with the engine... I am looking at the 180 hp lycoming. parts are easier to get franklin parts are not being manufactuerd curently
franklin is heavy also, sounds like delair has a gross weight increase if you install his 180 lycoming stc thats the route i think i am going to persue
do you have a stol kit yet?
A&P, IA, BS
N3439D 55 cessna 170B
N89420 46 cessna 140
apex ak

Post by apex ak »

No not yet, thinking about doing the micro aero vg's
tunraflyer

Post by tunraflyer »

before you spend for the vgs look a the sportsman stol kit got it on my plane makes a big difference... well worth the money we can install them down here if you want..for a small fee of corse
A&P, IA, BS
N3439D 55 cessna 170B
N89420 46 cessna 140
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I'm just finishing up a DelAir 180Lyc conversion, and he doesn't have a gross weight STC for the 170. He would have to have it approved for each different model and last time I talked to him it didn't sound like it would happen. Give him a call though to make sure, but that was what he told me about 6 months ago.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If you have Piper, VGs work wonders, by most reports.

If you have a Cessna, you're throwing away your money on VGs for the Cessna wing. I've been told that the VGs on the tail provide a little better elevator authority to a lower speed.

If you're thinking of a bigger engine, think Continental IO-360 at 210 HP.
They are a currently produced engine and they enjoy current factory support, not to mention parts support from the likes of Superior and ECI.

To the best of my knowledge, no one is building or supporting Franklin engines with any new parts.
BL
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

apex ak ,
my franklin 350 has been very good to me , never had a problem . Parts can still be easily found. whereas , I feel the best application for a Continental 360 is in a Seneca , so when one blows up the other hopefully can get you back ( personal experience ). I'm not trying to talk you into a franklin , I 'm just pointing out the everybody has their own opinion. Andrew
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

blueldr wrote:If you have Piper, VGs work wonders, by most reports.

If you have a Cessna, you're throwing away your money on VGs for the Cessna wing. I've been told that the VGs on the tail provide a little better elevator authority to a lower speed.
BL we have disagreed about VGs before and I'm sure this won't be the last time. VGs do work on a Cessna 170. I have had them for about 5 years know and feel very comfortable saying that.

Do they work as well as a leading edge cuff? I can't say I don't have them nor have I flown one that does.

Would I rather have more power for departures rather than VGs? Absolutely! There is no substitute for power.

Will Vgs do what you want them to do or think they do? I don't know what do you think they might do?

Are Vgs necessary on a 170? Great question. No probably not. But when I push the envelope for short field performance I feel 1000 times more comfortable at 45mph with them than without them.

Would want VGs if I lived in an area or had a situation that required me to clean the wings of snow or ice or if I cared to wash my wings or used wing covers. Absolutely not. They are a pain in the but if you want to or have to do any of these things.

I don't have to clean snow or ice because I don't have to fly my plane when it's covered with that stuff. I NEVER wash my plane and I don't use wing covers. I like to land or take off in as short a length as possible EVERY time I land or takeoff regardless of the lengh of runway I have. It's a personal challenge for me. I'm a helicopter pilot! Vgs where made for me.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com