Center Stack Radios

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N171TD

Center Stack Radios

Post by N171TD »

I am wanting to mount a GPS/com and transponder in the center of my panel. How can this be done without the radios hitting the control tee.
This is a total rebuild with no old panel parts being used. I see some panels in different photos of this but am at a loss how it was done.
Our 172/170 or a 171 is known as tweener
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Most center-stack conversion require a different yoke behind the panel. The original "T" interferes with the depth of most radios. A conversion to center stack usually requires a chaneover to a "Y" yoke, and ... that's not as simple as it might first seem. Cable differences, etc. exist. Then there's the approval-basis situation these days. :?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

This is what my 180 has:

http://www.avion.com/Products/Instrumen ... lKits.html

Even though they refer to the 170 below their list of STC'd aircraft it's a bit unclear if the 170 has an STC. I really like the mod, it adds a bit more height as well. Currently I've got the whole assembly out (big gaping hole aft of the firewall) and have just about completed building a new left side panel and modifying the right side to add more instruments. All the wiring will get cleaned up along the way. This mod is not cheap though.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

When I contacted Avion, they hemmed and hawed for some time telling me how great it was and that I should immediately put one on order. When all the BS was cleared away and it came down to having a STC for the C-170, the answer was NO. It would require a field approval.
BL
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

blueldr wrote:When I contacted Avion, they hemmed and hawed for some time telling me how great it was and that I should immediately put one on order. When all the BS was cleared away and it came down to having a STC for the C-170, the answer was NO. It would require a field approval.
Well that settles it then Dick. I guess it would be difficult these days to get the field approval so if someone wants the center stack they'd best buy one already done and approved.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Dave Clark wrote:
blueldr wrote:When I contacted Avion, they hemmed and hawed for some time telling me how great it was and that I should immediately put one on order. When all the BS was cleared away and it came down to having a STC for the C-170, the answer was NO. It would require a field approval.
Well that settles it then Dick. I guess it would be difficult these days to get the field approval so if someone wants the center stack they'd best buy one already done and approved.
I'm surprised they haven't aquired the STC for the 170. Sure seems like there are enough people that want the converison.
Doug
doakes

Post by doakes »

I thought that Delair or something like that name in California has an STC for a new panel.
n3437d

RE: Panel upgrades and Avion

Post by n3437d »

FWIW - not wanting to sound negative - I will make this post as positive as I can - I bought my 170 with the center stack and Avion panel conversion - a very nice looking and well constructed panel --- However two years ago when I wanted to ensure that ALL paperwork had been completed I could not find any papers on the panel approval, so I contacted the folks (actually one folk) at Avion -- Let me say this - How many ways can you spell R U D E ? Apparently these folk(s) have been contacted by others wanting "paperwork" and I detected a raw nerve.

Nice product but..............
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
170C

Center Stack Radios

Post by 170C »

I have seen any number of 170's/172's and a few older 180's that have been converted from the old "T" yoke set up to the "Y" set up George refers to. They allow one to reconfigure the panel to a much more functional (although not original) panel. Radio's, GPS's, Transponder's, etc. all easier to see & use for both pilot & copilot. Its a shame our planes didn't come from the factor with the center stack. I have discussed the conversion with several folks and as George said, it is quite a project. The control column has to be cut off and the "Y" yoke welded on. The cables end up being too long (as I recall) resulting in them having to be cut off and new fittings swedged. I think a "Y" yoke from an early (after the center stack started being installed in the C-172's) C-172 is usually what is used. I think the position of the actual yoke holes in the panel ends up slightly different than our stock ones. I suspect all of the ones I have seen were done at a time when field approvals were easier to obtain. Would sure be a nice mod!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
mbram

Post by mbram »

STC Number:
SA4540NM

This certificate issued to:
Del-Air

STC Holder's Address:
2121 S. Wildcat Way
Porterville CA 93257
United States

Description of the Type Design Change:
Installation of modified instrument panel and control yoke.

Application Date:

Issued, 03/16/1989

Responsible Office:
ANM-100L Los Angeles Aircraft Certification Office Tel: (562) 627-5200

TC Number -- Make -- Model:
A-799 -- Cessna Aircraft Company, The -- 170A
A-799 -- Cessna Aircraft Company, The -- 170B

I talked to Harry last year when I purchased my Aircraft
He said the cost for the STC mod on the yoke and blank panels
is about 2200.00.
Mike
N 9545A
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

Does del-Air have a website? (And, yes, I did google del-air)
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Harry is from another era. Be glad he has a telephone. He doesn't take credit cards and probably doesn't have a computer much less a website. When I went to pick up a firewall that he had pressed, he had no record that I had previously paid for it. Fortunately, he took my word for it that I had paid in full for the firewall when I had ordered it. What Harry does have is some very talented employees (who seem to be quite frustrated with their boss).
Gary
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

Mike said:

"I talked to Harry last year when I purchased my Aircraft
He said the cost for the STC mod on the yoke and blank panels
is about 2200.00."

So, ball-park, how many hours labor would you estimate to install the mods?
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
GAHorn

Re: Center Stack Radios

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:... Its a shame our planes didn't come from the factor with the center stack...
Naw! I like the classic look! If I'd wanted a modern looking airplane I'd have bought one. There's nothing more disgusting to me than seeing an old DC-3 with 3 1/8" pictoral gyro's, panel mounted digital Garmins and a color radar! (But if I'd bought a 172, then I guess I'd want it to have an old "conventional" landing gear and have to pay for a conversion!) :lol:

There's nothing quite like an hour on solid instruments in rough air around 9,000 feet, looking sideways (to the right side of the cockpit while travelling forward in choppy air with the associated inner-ear confusion) at an old AN horizon-gyro but rotating your head every so often to steer with a AN hockey-puck in front of you (just above the altimeter) both of which are running on 3.5 inches of venturi-vacuum. Ahhhh. Yeeessss. Gives you that Ol' Aviator crick-in-the-neck and sick-in-the-pit of the stomach...but what the heck. It's real FLYING! :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,

Were you disappointed when decommissioned the old four legged radio ranges?
BL