170A Tail Wheel Towing

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

CAS-
As Paul Wood told me, "Just remember that no good deed goes unpunished." :?
Just for everyone's FWIW, JTACO is the "supplier" that had issued an inventory list to me stating they had 318 of the eyebolts in stock, ready for purchase. They have a minimum order fee of $60. (Who would want to pay $21 for a bolt, then an additional $39 for the privilege of buying it, and then pay freight on top of that?) So I offered to buy all that the membeship wanted, pay for it all out of my own pocket, and then ship them directly to each member via U.S. Priority mail ($3.95) charging only for each members actual cost.
I received the first group of 35 members requests virtually overnight, and an additonal 26 have trickled in since. When the first 35 came in, I called JTACO and placed the order. They acted very confused and told me they had only 4 on hand. I protested to them that only the week before they'd stated they had 318, and they responded that yes, their inventory list shows that, but they can't locate them in the warehouse. I began to worry that some might feel disadvantaged if I'd placed an order for the original 4 and expose myself to charges that I'd on my own determined who'd receive them, so I instead obtained a promise from JATCO they'd hold the 4 and would outsource for the rest of TIC170A's order. I began a search throughout the marketplace looking for alternative suppliers, and meanwhile notified all members who'd placed orders of the situation. (When I called back in a couple of days to see if they'd located their inventory, I found you'd obtained your order from JTACO directly and they'd sold their other 3 also. Apparently they don't do what they say.) :(
I have located a hardware supplier in MS that promises to produce the bolts at the agreed price, and I am waiting for his notification.
Meanwhile, back to your towbar question--
I've seen several towbars that worked well and a few that didn't. The best ones used 1.5" square tubing with spring loaded clips at the aircraft end. A homemade one that worked well used locking "hitch" pins at the aircraft end, which penetrated circular "ears" on the outside surface of the square tubing. The weight of a commercial unit I've seen was all that held it attached, but I would be uncomfortable with that arrangement not only because of lack of attachment security, but also because of the weight of the entire unit. (It was designed for very large aircraft and had pnuematic dollys on the aircraft end.)
If you can find a DC-3 or D-18 on the field somewhere, you might look at the maingear towbars used for them.
I"ve cast about for an original L-19 towbar, ex-military/surplus but have been unable to locate one. Any Air Force or Army types out there that used these in Viet Nam or Korea?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
CAS

tow lugs & eyebolts

Post by CAS »

George
Thank you for your response.
Sorry to "rat" your supply.
I actually ordered (and received) 2 of each item - the other set for a friend who is rebuilding a C170A - because of JTACOs minimum order requirement of $60/order and $20/item.
I would have taken up your purchase offer but for your requirement to be paid by cheque - being in Australia I do not have a cheque account that is acceptable in USA - I could pay JTACO by Visa.

There is a P51 Mustang in the hangar next to where I work and I had a look at their tow bar. It is about 2" square heavy tube with a set of dolly wheels near the aircraft end on one arm (and a bracket to hold the other arm). On the end of each arm is a 6" length of about 3/8" rod that drops into an eyebold about the size of the C170 tailwheel eyebolt on the P51 undercarriage. It looks to me as though it could quite easily jump out but they push the aircraft around quite happily with no ill results (so far).
FYI

Regards

David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hi, David!
You didn't "rat" me! :wink: I don't keep my sources secret for such things. As Parts/Mx coordinator my task is to help members find the parts they need and put seller/buyer together. There's no benefit to me on this type transaction, so I'm not concerned about revealing my sources. (In fact, this transaction if completed actually/potentially costs me out of my own pocket. I must pay the supplier up front for the parts and freight, and then wait for folks to reimburse me, which usually....they do. :roll: And I feel traceability is important.)
I'm about to go ahead with the tow adaptors and other misc. parts for those who ordered them, and the eyebolts/mooring rings will likely come from another source.
I'll bet the mere weight of that 2" sq. tubing P-51 towbar is pretty convincing for it not to pop out of position. If a small "lip" were on the lower end of the 3/8" rod/pin existed then the likelyhood would be even less. (Think of an upside down " T " being inserted into the tow adaptor/ring. When stress from towing/pushing is underway, the lip (in addition to the weight) would prevent it from popping out.)
In the future if you have a need to pay thru me, I can accept PayPal credit card service if you'll pay the small (3%) fee they tack on.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)