Exhaust Heater Parts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

All Fund Out

Exhaust Heater Parts

Post by All Fund Out »

Hello fellow members, This is my 1st posting, although I have been a member since 1994. I rebuilt serial #25573 in 1995 & it has been trouble free ever since , [wish I could say the same for my cars}
However, during the annual exhaust heater inspection I noticed the 2 upper seals Cessna P/N 0550157-29 & lower seal Cessna P/N 0550157-30 have deteriorated. I remember hearing that these seals are either not available and / or are ultra expensive. Are they that important other than letting hot air escape leaving less for the passenger compartment.
Are they available through other sources ?? Are they made of aluminum ? Could they be fabricated locally
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Rick P
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Rick

You are right on the money. These seals aren't available though AWI was trying to make them for there complete exhaust offering.

Here is the previous thread about this subject: http://www.cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtop ... ht=exhaust

I didn't realize there is supposed to be some at the bottom of the muffler till I looked again for your question. 8O Maybe that's one reason my heat sucks. :x

I'm going to check mine out but I'm pretty sure mine are missing. If they are I'll make my own out of an aluminum pipe. The ones I saw made by AWI looked like they cut the pipe straight then bent them as opposed to cutting on a curve.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The ones AWI displayed at Kelowna may not have been mfr'd by them. The originals also look like heavy-wall alum. tubing cut with a saw and bent to a curve.
I am pursuing getting some mfr'd locally and apply for approval, and hope to post somethng soon about it. Until I make that announcement however, you'll have to make your own or buy them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)