Generator Resistances

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bryce

Generator Resistances

Post by Bryce »

Before trying our ground testing automobile voltage regulator (recommended from previous posts) I have carried out some trouble shooting tests as suggested by Zeftronics .
They advise the generator armature to ground resistance should be no more that 0.1 ohms but my reading is 20 to 40 ohms depending on commutator position ( moved by turning prop) and the genertor field to ground resistance between 7-10 ohms and I get 27 ohms.
The only value I get within there spec is the generator field to armature resistance of 8 ohms they suggest 7-10 ohms.
Does anyone know if our values are suggesting a fault or could they be considered in spec ?
Many Thanks
Bryce
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

On receiving a replacement generator from Aerotech of Louisville I have measured the armature to ground resistance of 0.3 ohm and the field to ground resistance of 7 ohm.
This appears to be more in line with what should be expected and hopefully this has been part of our problem.
We have taken the opportunity of obtaining a 35 amp generator to replace the previous 20 amp unit and at the same time a 35 amp voltage regulator.Aerotech were helpful in trading in our smaller generator.
Bryce
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Bryce
I hope you have a dampened crank engine otherwise you can't legally put the 35 amp generator on.

See other threads here on how to determine if you have a dampened crank or not if you don't already know.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And be certain to provide fresh-air/ram cooling to your 35A gen.'s brush-shroud.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Thanks
For some unknown reason the aeroplane had been fitted with a 20 amp generator at sometime as a replacement to the 35 amp unit originally fitted and there is already a cooling hose.I have read a little on dampened cranks but ours has a Rolls Royce constructed engine and I am not sure this problem extended to these licensed buit Continentals.
Bryce