Oil Filter Heat-Sink

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

voorheesh

cooling

Post by voorheesh »

Anybody had experience with a heat sink you can put on the oil filter? Available at Aircraft Spruce for about $40. They say it reduces oil temp by 20%.
cessna170bdriver

Re: cooling

Post by cessna170bdriver »

voorheesh wrote:Anybody had experience with a heat sink you can put on the oil filter? Available at Aircraft Spruce for about $40. They say it reduces oil temp by 20%.
http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... oil+filter
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Thanks for posting that link, Miles. Most everything about the subject was said there, but I'd like to remind folks about something, as regards the idea of a "heat sink" on an oil filter.
Heat sinks work both ways...they'll also absorb heat.
In the typical 170 installation, the oil filter is in the low-pressure area of the cowl...downwind from: hot cylinders, hot exhaust pipes. In my own fertile mind... (Daffynition: Fertile: full of sh**.) :wink: .... I can easily imagine the heat sink absorbing all that engine/exhaust heat and imparting it to the oilfilter.
It'd be a good project to temporarily tape a digital temp probe in the area and see what inflight temps are there before attempting to see if a heat sink will work. IMHO
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Maybe that's why Jasco wants cooling air for their alternators ducted in from a cooler area rather than sucking in all that hot air with a fan...

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
170C

Alternator Air

Post by 170C »

I have been following some of the posts regarding cooling tubes/hoses and it is my understanding that if the alternator has a cooling fan that it should not be necessary to have a cooling tube on the alternator. My "C" model has a section of SCAT hose from the back baffel running down to the top of the alternator--obviously for cooling. Maybe its not needed and I should direct that cooling air to some other place. What do you think? What else would benefit more?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

Frank,

Is that cooling hose connected to the alternator, or does it just terminate in the vicinity? If the air in the accessory compartment is as hot as George theorizes, then even a hose from the back baffle blowing where the fan can pick up the air would be better than nothing. The air picked up at the back of the baffle hasn't yet done any engine cooling and is very near ambient temperature as evidenced by the fact that it is one source of cockpit ventilation.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
170C

Cooling Tube

Post by 170C »

Someone, maybe whomever did the alternator conversion, put a clamp attached to the alternator (top side) that accepts a 2" hose from the back baffel. I don't know anything else back there that would benefit from that air so I will most likely leave it focused on the alternator. One always has to wonder if this was a part of the stc or just someone's idea of needed to be done. There is nothing in the logs to indicate this other than the mention of the conversion. I forget the actual name of the conversion, but its the Ford alternator.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
N2865C

Re: Cooling Tube

Post by N2865C »

170C wrote:Someone, maybe whomever did the alternator conversion, put a clamp attached to the alternator (top side) that accepts a 2" hose from the back baffel. I don't know anything else back there that would benefit from that air so I will most likely leave it focused on the alternator. One always has to wonder if this was a part of the stc or just someone's idea of needed to be done. There is nothing in the logs to indicate this other than the mention of the conversion. I forget the actual name of the conversion, but its the Ford alternator.

I believe the Jasco alternator STC requires a cooling tube. The easiest route is a fitting attached to the rear baffling and a hose. I would attempt to describe the Rube Goldberg affair that the person who installed the alternator on my plane used, but I don't think I can find the words. :?
I installed a Ford alternator using the Barnstormers STC on another plane (not a 170) and it also required a cooling tube.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"