What nav antenna do you use for king kx170b?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sanships

What nav antenna do you use for king kx170b?

Post by sanships »

I am looking for a suitable antenna for installing a kx170b. Where do you place it and where can I buy one, how much? My plane does not have a previous nav installation.
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

FWIW, my Nav antenna is mounted high on the vertical stabilizer and is connected to a King KX170B. With both a panel mounted GPS/LORAN and my handheld Garmin 190 GPS/Com, I rarely use the VOR function. In fact, I plan to remove the KX170B, the VOR indicator, the NAV antenna and the long coax cable in the near future to lighten the aircraft. A Garmin SL40 will replace the 170B. Saves almost 10 pounds 8) . chuck
GAHorn

Re: What nav antenna do you use for king kx170b?

Post by GAHorn »

sanships wrote:I am looking for a suitable antenna for installing a kx170b. Where do you place it and where can I buy one, how much? My plane does not have a previous nav installation.
Alvin, the airplane's most common nav antenna back when it was in production, was probably the Narco stanchion-unit. This was a unit that had V-radiators (rods with little anti-static "balls" on the ends) which was mounted atop a stanchion that had the company name emblazoned upon it. You can probably find them all over world in junkyards and old avionics dealers., for next to nothing or at rock-bottom prices. (It looked very much like the WagAero Cat. No. C-176-000 which is priced at $666.75 8O )
An advantage of such an antenna is that it was usually mounted atop the cabin roof, just aft of the dome-light, and therefore did not need long runs of antenna coax and also did not need to cut up the rudder or vertical stabilizer to mount it. (I actually have a restored one in my hangar, as I once planned to install a VOR/GS some day. I doubt I'll ever do it tho'.)
The only thing to keep in mind (should you decide to use of those old units) is: The coax within them is likely pretty old and leaky, and should probably be replaced. They usually ended in a common RCA-plug. (These looked exactly like the audio jacks found on audio cables and on the backs of TV cable-boxes, stereos, etc.) Most radios these days use BNC connectors instead.
If you find/use an old Narco V-antenna, you might want to replace the coax (being careful to maintain the balun arrangement) and replace the RCA plug with a common BNC plug. That's my advice to you for a
VOR/GS receive antenna. (If you do use it for GS, you'll also need to get a coupler, available from any avionics shop or thru the catalogs for $50 or so.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)