OK, time for a stupid question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jims170

Post by jims170 »

gahorn wrote: But most mechanics recommend you inspect the screen every time you drain the oil. This is because the screen has no by-pass capability, and if clogged, will cause the engine to starve for oil. BTW, we are talking about the "pressure" screen...the one with the larger diameter.

Well.... The screen is attached to the base by solder. The solder joint is supposed to give and collapse the screen if the screen gets clogged and allow the oil to bypass. Part of inspecting the screen to check out the solder joint. I have never seen this or hear of it happening but someone must have convinced the FAA it was a workable plan. This info came from my 65+ year old A&P instructor shortly before he retired in the late 70’s

Jim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jims170 wrote:
gahorn wrote: But most mechanics recommend you inspect the screen every time you drain the oil. This is because the screen has no by-pass capability, and if clogged, will cause the engine to starve for oil. BTW, we are talking about the "pressure" screen...the one with the larger diameter.

Well.... The screen is attached to the base by solder. The solder joint is supposed to give and collapse the screen if the screen gets clogged and allow the oil to bypass. Part of inspecting the screen to check out the solder joint. I have never seen this or hear of it happening but someone must have convinced the FAA it was a workable plan. This info came from my 65+ year old A&P instructor shortly before he retired in the late 70’s

Jim
From time to time, Jim, you will get "old timers" advice and stories that are simply unworthy of belief. This is one of them.
If the screen solder joint were "designed" to bypass in such a way,...then it would be a throw-away screen, because it would be then permanently damaged and no longer useable. That is contrary to the service information the engine mfr. produced.
Also, in order to "collapse" that screen, ... the suction due to oil blockage would be due to a huge failure of the pump's ability to supply the engine with oil pressure and the engine would doubtlessly be severly damaged by the time that screen failed. (And note the word I used: FAILED....because that's what it would be. I'd also hate to think of all the damage caused by the junk released into the pump by the failure of that screen if such a theory had any merit at all.)
The screen has no by-pass capability at all.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)