Merlin Engine 12 cyl.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

derf62

Merlin Engine 12 cyl.

Post by derf62 »

Yes I know the 170's usually use the Cont engines. but I just ran across a Merlin engine and was wondering it worth? (NEW IN A BOX) Any input appreciated.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If you're talking about a Rolls Royce Merlin V-1650 Aircraft Engine, my guess on the value of a new one would be well over $100k.... I believe that currently overhauls are more than $50k..
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

NIB (New, In Box) means it's probably not preserved IAW (In Accordance With) the Rolls Royce Service Bulletin requiring preserved engines to be motored every 24 months and re-dessicated. It's worth very little, probably next to nothing. I'll pay the freight collect, tho'. Send it to my directory-listed address. 8)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
Sometimes you can be a really sneakey SOB! I definitely had my eye on that engine for a conversion on my '55 model, "The Silver Pig".
Their compression ratio is only about six to one so I could run it on mogas as long as I held down the boost! Even mogas with 5% ethanol!
BL
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

blueldr wrote:If you're talking about a Rolls Royce Merlin V-1650 Aircraft Engine, my guess on the value of a new one would be well over $100k.... I believe that currently overhauls are more than $50k..
Local rumors are that a Tehachapi business, Vintage V12, gets 100K + for overhaul. George, maybe you remember some numbers from your tour?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
derf62

Merlin Engine

Post by derf62 »

I guess that I'll need to send this useless engine to Geo, freight pre-paid of coarse.

I plan on visiting the the wife of this engine in the next couple of weeks. Will see what her thoughts are about parting with it. I also let you'all know. THANKS FOR THE REPLYS

FRED
Kim Purcell

Post by Kim Purcell »

I work with the unlimited group at Reno each year and can think of a number of people who would be interested if the engine needs a new home. This group is a little hard on their engines :wink: and someone is always looking for more parts.
Kim
170A