Maule Tailwheel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

echild

Maule Tailwheel

Post by echild »

What is the chance of rebuilding a Maule tailwheel to a like new condition? There is play between the bronz bushing and the main shaft going towards the wheel. Also the bottom of the fork appears worn and the combination produces a fair amount of slop.

Does anyone have a good unti sitting around?

Everett
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Maule tailwheels and all their repair/overhaul parts are available from
Aircraft Spruce, 877-477-7823 . Online catalog at http://www.aircraftspruce.com
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
echild

Maule Tailwheel

Post by echild »

George,

I first tried Spruce and they said the entire assembly have been on back order for awhile and maybe they will have some in a few days. I tried Wag Aero and they said it would be months before they got the assembly and Chief said the same and that Maule wouldn't even return their calls.

I finally got to Maule's parts and they saaid they should have a supply ion a few weeks. Rather than rebuild I would like to either get a new one or one that has been replaced and still is in good condition without the wear.

Thanks,
Everett
Romeo Tango

Another idea

Post by Romeo Tango »

Everett, one thing you might consider is a Scott 3200 (or 3200A) replacement. I never liked the wheel-frame clearance of the Maule wheel, or the single support arm. The Scott wheel is much stronger, and with the 3200A version (same as used on the Husky) I'm a lot happier landing on soft/rough fields. More $ than repair or replace on the Maule, but I've not regretted that choice.

RT

p.s. the Scott 3200 is approved by the type Certificate, and Scott states that the 3200 and 3200A are identical for certificate purposes. Logbook entry and W&B change is it.