flap wiggle and bellcrank

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bodine

Post by bodine »

Hi guy's> I have a question does any body have any play in your flaps when they are retracted? I have the b flaps and have some play in mine prob. about a 1/4 inch or less and they wiggle a little during flight. Also how much side to side play in the bellcrank for the elevator is normal ? Thanks. Brian Bodine
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Brian

I've never seen a Cessna without play in the flaps when extended. Is 1/4 inch to much. Probably not but it is hard to say.

So you can see your flap moving when retracted in flight?

There is a method to measure track wear but I don't have it right at the tip of my fingers. perhaps someone else with more recent experience will chime in with it or at leas where it can be found.

What do you mean by side to side movement at the elevator bell crank? If you hold your yoke is there up and down play in the elevator? It may be easier to hold your elevator and see if there is fore and aft play in the yoke.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bodine

Post by bodine »

Iam in the middle of my ann. thats how the question came up. They do fluter just a wee bit in flight. The tracks are in good shape. As for the bell crank its when you have the insp. cover off on the tail and reach in and wiggle it whith your hand side to side. I think i saw a post or in the news letter at one time about the correct amount of play in it. Thats how the question came up so i thought i would ask you fine folks.... Thanks again Brian........
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Do you mean the bellcrank? Or the ratchet/sector? (Yes , the sector has a bit of play in it.) The flap tracks themselves also have specific wear limits, which I'll post as soon as I return home to my office.
See: http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2231 for an urgent alert resulting from a recent crash due to manual flap lever wear.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The numbers I have for the flap tracks are 0.5725 (new) 0.6025 (max) which is 0.03 over new. My tracks are still at new dimensions and I have all new rollers and I have about 1/4in. play at the trailing edge of the flaps. I don't notice them moving in flight.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
bodine

Post by bodine »

I mean the bell crank. I think. It's the arm in the tail that makes the elevators go up and down. I thought that was called the bell crank but i could be wrong. Thanks for the track numbers though..... Brian