installing a panel mount intercom

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

silkyd

installing a panel mount intercom

Post by silkyd »

just brought my (new to me) 52 170b home today from it's annual..after sitting 11 + years. Needless to say it was expensive! But it is in great shape now!. I am going to add a comm and transponder and a 4 place intercom. The fellow at the avionics shop is telling me the intercom is going to take 10hrs to install @$70 per hr. Is an intercom something i can install myself or is that not legal? I do not really want a portable unit with cords on the floor. But if he is putting the radio and transponder in it would be a good time for him to do it. I am not an expert when it comes to wiring but it may not be a tough install...except for running all the wires under all the interior. Or would you leave it to the experts?
jeff
Jeff
52 170B
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

I work in the avionics industry and if I were you I would leave it up to the guy’s in the shop. It is not a hard job to do but if you get it wrong then you will have to spend a lot of time chasing the problem down. I know people who have installed intercoms in their planes with no problems but if you are not comfortable with wiring then I would not think of trying to accomplish this by yourself. Also you would have to find an A&P who would sign off your work. Do you know any if so you might get them to help you do the install in which case I would think a novice could accomplish an intercom install.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you do it yourself, don't forget... you don't want to ground both ends of coaxial or shielded wires. (It can cause a ground-loop-fault and be difficult to locate why that lousy audio whine won't go away.) Another good reason to go with a pro. But I gotta say, 10 hours probably includes the interior removal/reinstallation and that is something an owner CAN do to save money.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)