Hooker harness install

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Pavewlc

Hooker harness install

Post by Pavewlc »

Howdy Folks,
When I picked up the aircraft last month the owner gave me two hooker harness'; unistalled. I did a search of the fourms, but couldn't find how to install the fixed set in an A model. I don't have the nut plate like a B.

Cheers,
Lee
Lee Collins
1951 C170A
N1733D
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Lee, I have them in my A model. If I don't see an answer for you here the next time I go out to the airport I will get some photos and PM them to you.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If your rear spar carry through is not equipped with plate nuts for attaching a shoulder harness, They may be installed by locating the attach point, drilling the three holes for the nut plates and then sliding the nut plates into position in the spar carry through with the use of a magnet on the outside of the aluminum channel. The nut plates are inserted in the channel from the ends or from a hole in the top skin or a hole drilled in the bottom center of the channel. If anyone has a set of installation instructions from BAS harnesses, they explain the procedure in detail. Perhaps Hooker may have instructions for their harness too. Why not give them a call.
BL
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Contact Hooker http://www.hookerharness.com/ They were very helpful when I installed them in another airplane and had some questions. I'm sure they can get you the installation instructions.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
GAHorn

Re: Hooker harness install

Post by GAHorn »

Pavewlc wrote:Howdy Folks,
When I picked up the aircraft last month the owner gave me two hooker harness'; unistalled. I did a search of the fourms, but couldn't find how to install the fixed set in an A model. I don't have the nut plate like a B.

Cheers,
Lee
If you got the hardware, then ask the previous owner for the paperwork/installation instructions/STC/ etc. (Because you're gonna need a basis for installation. In order to comply with the FAA position letter I've written about elsewhere in these forums, you may not cut/weld or otherwise alter the airframe to install shoulder harnesses unless you have another basis of approval.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Pavewlc

Post by Pavewlc »

I'll ask PO (Previous owner) and give hooker a call. I knew about the no drilling from my research here. Hopefully I can get them in this weekend. Feel Kinda naked without them! :P

Lee
Lee Collins
1951 C170A
N1733D