electrical short

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rupertjl

electrical short

Post by rupertjl »

I've been having problems with the radios cutting out during landing when I pulle the yoke full aft for flares. I also found out that it also cuts the lights at night. (that makes for an interesting landing at night). I haven't looked real hard up under the instrument panel but does anyone have an idea what the control rods would be hitting up there when the yoke is pulled to the full aft position? I can duplicate the problem on the ground just by pulling full aft sometimes.

Thanks all!

Jud
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Look under that panel! What can our speculation tell you other than you have a potentially dangerous electrical condition, that might also involve interference with primary flight controls? 8O
Remove the front seats, get a pillow and a flashlight, and lay on your back and start inspecting.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
4stripes

wires

Post by 4stripes »

I've found some scary wiring in my plane while redoing the interior. The worst thing was my stall warning horn hanging by the wires behind the sidewall upholstery, all wrapped in black electrical tape (because it is always live). It worked fine this way, so went unnoticed for years!
Have a good look, and be prepared to spend time on your back (bring pillows and blankets)!
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

This what happened when I just took a look under the panel.
http://www.sandhillaviation.com/panel.jpg
I feel better now.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

HA! Vic! Been there! Done that! :lol:

It can be very scary... very scarey... what can be found behind 50-year old airplane instrument panels. It's a big problem, in my opinion. It's so scarey in some cases,... that the owners decide not to look! 8O
Big mistake. NoT much is more dangerous than a fire ...or tied up and tied flight controls in flight.... and it's a long, scarey descent in the dark if things go really bad. So.... LOOK, FIND, FIX all the old, automotive and house-wiring that can be found jumbled together and held with plastic tape! Get RID of that un-airworthy stuff...and spend the time/money/whatever-it-takes to get it right again!

DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL WIRE! Use the correct quality aircraft wire, available from Spruce and other suppliers. If you don't know the reasons why that is important.... then contact headquarters@cessna170.org and order the Electrical Systems Manual and read it.

I spent the better part of a summer ripping out the automotive wiring, the ordinary "zip" wire (electrical extension-cord wire) and the plastic tape and other hazards from a friend's 175 about 10 years ago. I'll never forget the incredible mis-match of junk behind that panel.... and people had been trusting their LIVES in that piece of S..... well.... I can't say it here. but it was bad. VERY VERY BAD!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)