Question on 180 hp conversion

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dunlaps3

Question on 180 hp conversion

Post by dunlaps3 »

Does anyone know if AvCon 180 hp conversion is approved for seaplane 170B ? I would sure think so , but recently someone told me the STC says " landplane only" . Is AvCon still in business ? It seems strange that by converting to a bigger engine makes the aircraft lose the approval to have floats !? Any accurate info is appreciated . Andrew
Chris Christensen

Post by Chris Christensen »

I have been down to Delair in Porteville Ca. and taken the nickel tour.
As far as I know Harry Delicker is now the source for the AvCon 180 conversions. I know nothing about the seaplane aspect.
I have the old "Bush" conversion in mine and will probably change it over to the Avcon since I can not get ANY information out of the "Bush" People.
Can not even get them to answer the phone so far.
Green Bean

Certification

Post by Green Bean »

Hate to go down this road, but to a logical sort, AVCON (Witchia, KS) didn't have the access to water or floats and the data they had to provide (to the FAA) was for the purpose of performance or reference to: Land Plane, which is what the engine/aircraft was tested, attached to during the approval process.
You will also find some of their STC's that state: Fixed Propeller, which was for the non-constant speed propeller version.

If the issue were to arise for proof of performance, you could use the Cessna 170 /145 float data, (if you could find it) and use the analogy that with a 180hp, you would have at least equal to or better performance.

The engine is matched to the plane not the undercarriage.

Operation with an AVCON on a Cessna 170 on floats, is not an issue.
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

Thanks for the reply . I was thinking no one wanted to touch this subject . When it was pointed out to me , I thought it was a " can of worms " . I don't have a problem with it . Andrew