Tool Loan Program

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Tool Loan Program

Post by GAHorn »

I have been trying to think up a way to create a tool-loaner program that will protect the tools, guarantee their timely return, and provide them on a loaner basis to Members for the cost of round-trip-shipping.
The sort of tools I personally have are such things as:

High Tension Lead Tester (to check your spark plug leads in situ.)
Brake Re-Lining Rivet Tools.
Compression Test Set.
Hose Assy/ Mfr'g Mandrel Set.
Magneto Timing/Synchronizer
Tubing Flaring Tool.
Angle-Drill Adaptor.
Step Drills.
Valve-Spring Compressor
Piston Ring Compressors
Cylinder Base Wrenches
Torque Wrenches
Magneto Internal Timing Tools
Test Meters (various)
Digital Tach/Prop Tester

I can't see how to cover round-trip shipping, insurance, etc. without charging about $25 for a loaner episode. Any interesting ideas on this?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I think Van's aircraft has a tool loan program. I know that the pneumatic rivet squeezers are popular items. I'm not sure how they guarantee that the tools don't stay in any one person's possession too long, but I do know that there are so many folks who want tools, that Van's maintains a waiting list, and the person currently using it is responsible for forwarding it to the next.

For the most part, the items on your list aren't hugely expensive individually, so maybe in addition to the $25 handling you could tack on a deposit based on the value of the tool. That deposit would be refunded in full if the tool was returned/forwarded in a timely manner.

Just a thought, Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep, the way I think about things has been that, if I need the tool now, and if it's fairly predictable I'll need it again in the next couple of years, then I just go ahead and buy it.
Most folks who might need a set of mandrels to make up new hoses might only need them once in 10 years. But it isn't worth my risking injury or loss to them simply to be a nice guy to someone I may never meet or who is unwilling to leave a deposit with me for them. (I don't really want to have to go buy another set if they aren't returned. I just want them returned in the same condition as when loaned.)
If I were to loan out a sensitive test set such as the lead tester, it'd do me no good to get it back damaged because someone carelessly dropped it. Then that person would be out the cost of the unit, plus insurance and/or shipping...and I"ve been put out, and they've not saved anything at all and still wouldn't have the tool they'd paid for.
It's a program definitely only viable between trustworthy friends. Maybe it's simply not workable.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:...
It's a program definitely only viable between trustworthy friends. Maybe it's simply not workable.
Yes, that and the fact that if a person doesn't have the tools, he probably isn't an A&P, and therefore would need an A & P to supervise the work anyway, so why not just use that A & P's tools? I guess for that reason, a tool loan program makes more sense in the experimental world.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:...
Yes, that and the fact that if a person doesn't have the tools, he probably isn't an A&P, and therefore would need an A & P to supervise the work anyway, so why not just use that A & P's tools? I guess for that reason, a tool loan program makes more sense in the experimental world.
Don't write the idea off just yet. Perhaps you could limit the program to certain items. As George said, something like the lead tester could be too easily damaged, but there are other tools that could better stand the rigors of repeated shipment and use by others. You may also consider different deposit values based on the value or fragile nature of the tool in question. Someone who is willing to put a larger deposit down maybe be more apt to treat it with care.

I think you could make this work on some level, it just needs to be explored more.
Doug
phantomphixer

Loaner tools

Post by phantomphixer »

George,
Shipping total round trip can be down to $16.20 if using US Postal Service and use their free shipping boxes. They come in 2 sizes and that is the flat rate. Up to 60lbs can be shoved into these boxes (although you would have to be shipping bags of lead shot to get 60lbs in the boxes) I use them about twice a month to send "Care packages" to friends that are serving in harm's way. As a matter of fact I have one on my desk ready for mailing this am. The size I'm mailing this am is 11X8.5X5.5. The other size is 13.5X11.75X3.25.
See attached link for more info:
http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm
IF you want to mail it from home, you must physically hand this to your postal carrier as long as you have the stamps applied Or take it to the post office. (that can be fun)
Phantomphixer
55' 170B N3585C
Somerton, AZ
dacker

Post by dacker »

This subject makes me both chuckle and cringe!

Having started and owned an equipment rental company a few years ago, I can tell you... some of the most well intentioned people could tear up an iron ball with a rubber mallot. :roll: It is unbelievable how some perfectly normal and educated people can destroy perfectly good tools and equipment in a matter of minutes.

It normally wasn't intentional, but it happened, usually as a result of not using the tool properly.

As a result I have become quite stingy when it comes to tools, I hate lending them out. I also hate borrowing tools for the above reasons (I have destroyed a couple of tools in the past myself :oops: ). I usually just bite the bullet and buy what I need.

As far as taking a deposit on tools, it would be absolutely necessary. It would also be a good idea for some sort of condition check as it goes from person to person.

One thing that I have found to help combat destruction is to keep equipment looking clean and new (if it looks old people treat it as such). I always had a hard time getting this across to the employees as they didn't have to pay for it.

I hope my comments don't come across as so negative that a good idea gets shot down. I think it could work with a little effort.

David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well....I don't care WHAT kind of mallet you have.......I'm not letting YOU NEAR my IRON BALLS! :lol:
dacker

Post by dacker »

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's one in every crowd! :lol: :lol:
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

It seems to me that the guy who is mechanic enough to know how to properly use these tools will probably have his own set. If he is not, he won't know how to use them anyway and may endanger himself and others if they are improperly used. Mechanics that have to borrow tools to do a job kind of worry me, unless they're caught away from home.

I'm not talking about really special tools , such as a tap to chase the oil screen threads. Most of the tools George listed are much more commonly used by any airplane mechanic, or AMT if you prefer. It also seems that the shipping and insurance costs would probably go a long way toward personal acqusition of them.
BL
TomMcNutt

Tool Loaner Program

Post by TomMcNutt »

Sell the tool for full replacement cost.

Then refund their money when you receive the tool back in good working condition, Add a minimal user fee and possibly a time limit.