EI Engine monitor

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

EI Engine monitor

Post by c170b53 »

Just curious if anyone has the EI engine monitor installed. My EGT gauge is kaput, so I'm thinking of installing a EGT /CHT gauge of some sort. I 've got a Lycoming ,Any recommendations?
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

c170b53 (I'd address you by name if you would reveal it)

I have the Lycoming also and added an EI UBG with 16 channels a few years ago. It is really neat and maybe one of the best things I've ever added to any airplane. Miles has had some recent posts on it also. Do a search.

I'll be back to Stuart Island the end of April if you want to see it and fly it.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Dave Clark wrote:I have the Lycoming also and added an EI UBG with 16 channels a few years ago. It is really neat and maybe one of the best things I've ever added to any airplane. Miles has had some recent posts on it also. Do a search.
My engine is still going together, so I haven't installed my UBG-16 (6-Cylinder) yet. For what it's worth, the unit appears to be of quality construction, and the installation and operation manuals seems to be well done (at least to this instrumentation engineer), and are available online.

http://www.buy-ei.com/UBG-16_Bar_Graph_ ... alzyer.htm

I'll definitely report back when I get it going.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

Dave,

How are your thermocouple extension cables sealed at the firewall? The parts to duplicate Cessna's wiring harness grommet installation (p 97, 170B IPC) run over $400 at Hill Aircraft. 8O 8O 8O Spruce sells similar-looking parts MUCH cheaper, but I don't know if they are "equal or better" than the Cessna parts. Also, what would be used to protect the rubber grommet?

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

cessna170bdriver wrote:Dave,

How are your thermocouple extension cables sealed at the firewall? The parts to duplicate Cessna's wiring harness grommet installation (p 97, 170B IPC) run over $400 at Hill Aircraft. 8O 8O 8O Spruce sells similar-looking parts MUCH cheaper, but I don't know if they are "equal or better" than the Cessna parts. Also, what would be used to protect the rubber grommet?

Miles
Miles I had some of the stainless grommet cover deals. I think you'd find the Spruce ones to be just fine. Figure out the right grommet size though.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
cessna170bdriver

Dave Clark wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:Miles I had some of the stainless grommet cover deals. I think you'd find the Spruce ones to be just fine. Figure out the right grommet size though.
Thanks Dave. I know that the cable needs to fit as tight as possible in the grommet to seal against carbon monoxide. Probably some high temp sealant as well. Grommets are cheap so I'll get several sizes and use the smallest one I can run all 12 wires through. The bundle of 12 cables look to be just under a half inch. Since asbestos is hard to come by, I'm going to check into something else to go between the shield and grommet. Several layers of fiberglass tape maybe?

I had initially thought of trying to find a bulkhead connector with Type K pins, but the only one I could find would have run $1200 for parts and about $350 for the tools to put it together. Even at that, it was only rated about 200 degrees. Nah, I don't think so. :roll:

Miles.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Miles, I'm pretty sure I have a long roll of genuine Pratt & Whitney asbestos tape, about 1" wide and probably 25' long. If you want some, I'll send you some?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:Miles, I'm pretty sure I have a long roll of genuine Pratt & Whitney asbestos tape, about 1" wide and probably 25' long. If you want some, I'll send you some?
Sure George, maybe a couple of inches? Will you trade for a few of those special fasteners I talked about yesterday? :wink:

Are you going to have to do hazmat shipping on that stuff? :D

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'll be home tomorrow PM, and will have to locate the stuff. It's in it's original P & W blue box, with the flying eagle and all that jazz. (No. You do not get the box.) Is that sufficient traceability? :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:I'll be home tomorrow PM, and will have to locate the stuff. It's in it's original P & W blue box, with the flying eagle and all that jazz. (No. You do not get the box.) Is that sufficient traceability? :lol:
Your word that it came out of a P & W box is at least as good if not better than anything I got from Premium. :?
Miles

— Thomas Browne
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Sorry about the c170b53 First name is Jim. I'm thinking about using the E I SR8-A model engine monitor. I only really want to see my EGT's and CHT's.
I already have installed the oil temp and Px gauge from EI which works great. Just wondering what others have experienced.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hi, Jim!
(Yeah, folks, Jim has been a Member since early '97... he even pre-dates the Yahoo club! AND.... he's been a generous contributor of parts and supplies to other members. I still owe him a favor or two myself.) :P

Jim,... you gonna make the Kelowna Convention? Sure would like to meet you in person!
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Sorry Jim, I looked at your profile and didn't see a name plus you don't have a name in your signature line. I just can't put together or remember everyone's N numbers with a name. My apologies.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I've mentioned it in several posts that this will be my first convention and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the local 170's and of course I'm looking to see some of those exceedingly fast 170's I've heard mention of in the forums. Dave I thought my name was with my ID tag, I'll try to update my ID on this website along with my location.