replacement case--serial number

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

replacement case--serial number

Post by zero.one.victor »

Is there a listing of serial numbers/engine models? The damaged crankcase of my C-145-2 --with dampened (counterbalanced) crank--was replaced at overhaul last year with a used airworthy case (both halves). The data plate of the replacement case was used,per both the CRS overhaul shop and my IA. However,all that's still legible is the serial number,not the engine model. The serial number is 31790-D-4-C. Who can tell me what model engine this came off? Everything else is C-145 so that's what I figure it is.

Eric
Tom Downey

Re: replacement case--serial number

Post by Tom Downey »

zero.one.victor wrote:Is there a listing of serial numbers/engine models? The damaged crankcase of my C-145-2 --with dampened (counterbalanced) crank--was replaced at overhaul last year with a used airworthy case (both halves). The data plate of the replacement case was used,per both the CRS overhaul shop and my IA. However,all that's still legible is the serial number,not the engine model. The serial number is 31790-D-4-C. Who can tell me what model engine this came off? Everything else is C-145 so that's what I figure it is.

Eric
The method that your mech and overhaul shop used to do your log is legal but not the most proper way of documenting the case change. They should have kept your old data tag for the new case. because the data tag and log should be the same set.
The condition of your data tag is pretty much a normal thing after a case has gone thru a dip tank and been stripped, the only thing that is left is the stamped letters, and that gives the engine model and engine serial number. you now have a "D" engine with out the angle starter drive, which is basicly a major engine mod.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Not so. The "D" in the serial number only refers to a dampened crankshaft. It has nothing to do with the "dash number" or model of engine. (This is an old msg thread, not a recent discussion, but while researching another question came across this and I wanted to correct the record.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)