Instrument Panel Placarding

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cpolsley

Instrument Panel Placarding

Post by cpolsley »

Those of you who have redone your instrument panels: I have a 1953 model and hope to paint my panel and replace the plexiglass on the switch panel. What did you use and how did you label the switches and controls behind the plexiglass? I would like to paint the panel a maroon color to match my interior.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My '53 model was restored by having a piece of acrylic reverse-engraved, then filled with paint. I still have a stencil for the reverse engraving I could photocopy and send you. (But I'll need a day or two until I can return home and retrieve it.) email me if you want it.
Be advised that a small change was made, in that my panel dispensed with fuses and installed circuit breakers of the correct amperage.

It's difficult to see in this photo (which has been posted before) but here is the result.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cpolsley

Post by cpolsley »

I've considered replacing mine with C/B's as well but 15 years or so ago I rewired the whole airplane and put in new fuse holders. I did'nt want to go through the paperwork to do so I guess. I replaced my whole panel because the orig. was so chopped up and the outer panel, whatever you call it was so distorted I just did'nt try and put it back on. Thanks for the offer of your using your stencle but I don't think it would match my switches. Your panel looks really nice.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Joy Warren of the 120/140 Assoc. makes the plexi panels complete with all appropriate holes for controls and standard or custom lettering in original font (type face). Mine cost $55 for my '52 with custom lettering. I know she does them for the 120/140 & early 170s (pre-53). I'm pretty sure she does them for the 53-56 models years as well, but can't say for sure. PM/email me and I'll send you her contact info.
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I've heard back from Joy Warren and she still makes the panels. For those of you who PM'd me looking for her contact info, I am able to report that she confirmed that the contact info I gave is still correct and gave me the go ahead to pass it a long. So, those of you looking for plexi panels go ahead and give her a shout.
Doug